Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,957   Online: 1122

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I'm using an Aristo V54 Cold Light head, I suspect it will be fine..
    Like the solution in that link, I have also made a nice glass 35mm carrier with two pieces of glass and a tape hinge. Depending on how the Beseler accepts the carrier, it may work fine. The one I made was for an enlarger that slides the head up and down and the head rests on the glass to compress it (with some foam rubber in between).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I got it figured out. I ordered some AN glass from Focalpoint, took my glassless carrier, removed the top, drilled a bunch of holes to perforate where I wanted the metal to be broken off and then bent it off. Then, as I started filing away at it to get rid of the jagged edges, I noticed a pattern that I actually kind of liked. So not only can I print the entire frame including the notch code, I have a "Postage Stamp" look for when I want to really bring something fresh to a series, like portraits...

By the way, I am blown away by how easy it is to make superb prints from 4x5 compared to smaller formats, it feels almost like cheating..:-)

I'd love to show it to you, but I can not get any size attachment to load...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome to the world of black borders, warts and all!

Be sure to throw a small bubble level in with your camera gear. You can't hide a crooked shot any longer. No more cropping.

You also can't do flashing "a-la Lootens" to blacken distracting backgrounds. This, I am sorry, is the gravest loss - I just cannot figure out a workaround.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    You also can't do flashing "a-la Lootens" to blacken distracting backgrounds. This, I am sorry, is the gravest loss - I just cannot figure out a workaround.
    If you would not mind, please elaborate...I am not clear what you mean..

Also, the main thrust of the new improved carrier is so I have all the decision in cropping, I bet in practice I rarely go the full neg. route...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you would not mind, please elaborate...I am not clear what you mean..

Also, the main thrust of the new improved carrier is so I have all the decision in cropping, I bet in practice I rarely go the full neg. route...
    An old book "Lootens on Enlarging" describes the pictorial darkening of the corners of your prints. Say you took a portrait and the upper-left corner the frame holding the drop cloth shows. With flashing, you darken the upper left corner with maybe 5 seconds of light from an 8-watt bulb as you shield the rest of the print with cardboard. It's like burning but without a negative. No additional detail, it obliterates and plunges that corner of the print to black.

Printing full frame has been done before, so people have gotten tired of it before... I prefer it though I concede it is neither the best route to go nor something anybody should do without thinking it through.

Shooter
    Multi Format

By the way, I am blown away by how easy it is to make superb prints from 4x5 compared to smaller formats, it feels almost like cheating..:-)
    EXACTLY! And 8x10 is even easier! The smaller formats are progressively more tedious to print well. 35mm being the most challenging. Amazing how so many people jump right in the deep end (35mm) without progressing through the easy to print formats first

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frame your images in-camera appropriately for your processing and you won't have a problem.

No problem = no solution required.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I have done two 20x24 prints with the glass carrier with Focal Point AN glass and I am still getting newton rings...WTH?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I have done two 20x24 prints with the glass carrier with Focal Point AN glass and I am still getting newton rings...WTH?
    You have checked all the obvious things like correct orientation of the glass etc? Do you have two AN pieces or just one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You have checked all the obvious things like correct orientation of the glass etc? Do you have two AN pieces or just one?
    Yep, done by the book, AN on top, regular on bottom...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin