Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,080   Online: 919

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Full frame neg carriers for 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Welcome to the world of black borders, warts and all!

Be sure to throw a small bubble level in with your camera gear. You can't hide a crooked shot any longer. No more cropping.

You also can't do flashing "a-la Lootens" to blacken distracting backgrounds. This, I am sorry, is the gravest loss - I just cannot figure out a workaround.
    I don't see the problem regarding flashing except for a ragged 35mm style black border. I've used a pen flashlight doing what you describe.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know the design of your carrier, but if there is room in there, a thickness of tape or two will take the pressure off. I made my 5x7 carrier that way. I laid a negative on the glass and taped around the border with black photographic tape. I can't recall, but imagine it was two thicknesses. This made the negative very easy to position, and prevented newton rings even with my plain glass.

I don't know if your problem might be on the emulsion side; it seems like I had just one film type that had that issue.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What film? T-Max?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    What film? T-Max?
    Yep, Tmax 100 which has a pretty stiff base. Have not tried Delta or Tmax 400 yet...

TMX-100 dries so amazingly flat, I bet I very well *could* just tape it to the single glass. I might revisit and file out a bit of my regular glassless carrier, not a fan of the marks the negaflat leaves in the image area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup, TMX and Acros have emulsion surfaces shiny enough to sometimes cause Newton rings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This makes so much sense now, I did not see them at 11x14 in a complex scene and the 12"x24" prints I made that looked perfect were from 6x12 Pan-F, a dull surface.

I looked again at my Negaflat carrier and it really does not crop as much as I thought and could even be filed out a bit if we're feeling anal about it and it does hold Tmax super flat. Still not a fan of the bite marks, but they are right at the frame edge, so that might be the ticket for Tmax films...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    I don't see the problem regarding flashing except for a ragged 35mm style black border. I've used a pen flashlight doing what you describe.
    The problem I have not solved is how to accomplish flashing (as you do with a pen flashlight) when my paper is not shielded by the blades of the easel.

I have the easel blades set about 1/4 inch all around. My enlarged image area is slightly inside. The black border from my filed negative carriers outline my images, it is like the ragged 35mm style black border. The easel doesn't usually mask any edges (but sometimes just an accidental touch).

So if I used a pen flashlight, the black would "bleed" outside my printed black border.

You've solved this problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Yep, done by the book, AN on top, regular on bottom...
    I was wondering if the AN glass is treated on both sides. Also, some films might require AN glass on top and bottom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    The problem I have not solved is how to accomplish flashing (as you do with a pen flashlight) when my paper is not shielded by the blades of the easel.

I have the easel blades set about 1/4 inch all around. My enlarged image area is slightly inside. The black border from my filed negative carriers outline my images, it is like the ragged 35mm style black border. The easel doesn't usually mask any edges (but sometimes just an accidental touch).

So if I used a pen flashlight, the black would "bleed" outside my printed black border.

You've solved this problem?
    Technically 'flashing' would not produce any density on the un-exposed portion of the image. Technicalities aside, could you hold a piece of cardboard in one hand and the flashlight in the other. Shield the border as you are using the flashlight.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Technically 'flashing' would not produce any density on the un-exposed portion of the image. Technicalities aside, could you hold a piece of cardboard in one hand and the flashlight in the other. Shield the border as you are using the flashlight.
    There's two uses of the same word... 'flashing a-la Lootens' is what I call the dramatic, "hit the corners with a pen light" kind of flashing. Compared to threshold 'flashing' which you are right, does not produce any density without added light. I wouldn't have problem with that kind of flashing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin