Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,753   Online: 863

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Full frame neg carriers for 4x5?

I did three searches on this, came up empty handed...

When I use my Anti-Newton glass neg carrier for 4x5, it crops into quite a bit past the frame edge, slightly less using the Negaflat carrier, on a Beseler 45MXT.

Other than buying another glass carrier, filing it out and getting Focal Point to make some custom glass, what are my options for getting closer to if not all the neg represented in when printing from 4x5 negs?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I print full-frame 4x5 in a glassless carrier in Omega DII that I cut away with a jeweler's saw.

I would think you could "just" get a couple pieces of glass and mask off the excess with black paper.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I print full-frame 4x5 in a glassless carrier in Omega DII that I cut away with a jeweler's saw.

I would think you could "just" get a couple pieces of glass and mask off the excess with black paper.
    I want to print full-frame with my LPL 4550, but I can't bring myself to start filing and messing with it---anyway, I don't see how I could even do that with the glassless carrier that I have, the negative would just fall through if I filed away the small lip edge that the negative rests on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    I want to print full-frame with my LPL 4550, but I can't bring myself to start filing and messing with it---anyway, I don't see how I could even do that with the glassless carrier that I have, the negative would just fall through if I filed away the small lip edge that the negative rests on.
    It is not falling through for me. I measured my 4x5 film carefully (3.918 x 4.925) and cut the opening equally so that about 3/64 inches actual film is held on all four sides.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PKM, I made my own for my Saunders 4550. I started with the glassless carrier, milled out, and installed my own glass. An easier solution if you don't need the metal frame, is to simply sandwich the negative between two pieces of glass. Blacken the edges of the glass, and mask it with black construction paper. Plenty of people make masking carriers that way (Lynn Radeka, Alan Ross etc) and it works fine. It's actually a useful method because you can easily swap the top glass for different requirements (diffusing plexi etc).

Shooter
    Large Format
    I cut out my glassless carrier to get the full image area, minus the clear part of the neg obstructed by the rails in the film holder. I think I used a Dremel, then finished with a file and sandpaper. I would tape the neg to the carrier putting a bit of tension on it to keep it flat. The worst was that I then found out the opening above the negative carrier on my Omega D5 was causing a little vignetting. That took a couple more runs with the Dremel. And now I don't even use that enlarger anymore except for proof sheets.

I did make a 5x7 conversion a while back on a Durst L1000 and made a frame that held two plain pieces of glass. I masked those down to exactly the size of the full 5x7 negative and so could print the entire thing. The tape had the added bonus of adding just enough separation to prevent newton rings. That would be equally practical for 4x5 of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use two sheets of glass in a Durst 5x7 enlarger so I can full frame print Type 55 Polaroid Positive Negative Film showing all the edges. Perhaps you can fashion your own glass sheet negative carrier for your enlarger. With 35mm I filed out the neg. holder on my LPL/Saunders so I am able to print the black edges around the negative. Cheers Michael.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I kind of figured, it won't be too hard, I have filed out two neg carriers without incident thus far...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Beseler light source may not cover any more than what the original carrier shows. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/1...ignetting.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The Beseler light source may not cover any more than what the original carrier shows. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/1...ignetting.html
    I'm using an Aristo V54 Cold Light head, I suspect it will be fine..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin