Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,329   Online: 975

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Somebody's auctioning off some Panalure. I have no relation to the seller, yadda yadda, but I thought the OP might be interested in this because it's relatively cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Photog...item3f1464ade1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    The paper was Kodak's Panalure. The original wasn't that great, and even the H contrast (Hard) was a bit soft. The later version, Panalure Select RC, was actually quite good and the S, M, H grades seemed accurate. I liked it and have a few prints on it that I still like. I wish someone would make such a paper again. It's just a black and white paper that's panchromatic. It has to be handled in either complete darkness or under a dim safelight made for color paper. I used it with my Duka 50 sodium safelight set for RA4 paper and never had a problem with that.

Not just the base but the fact there are different colors in the image messes with VC paper, meaning different parts of the image can print with different contrasts. It also tends to come out looking oddly grainy, probably because of the lack of red sensitivity - any dye clouds too red just don't register at all leaving large "holes" that look like grain. Graded paper is even worse since its sensitivity is even more limited.

Hey Simon - could Ilford make a good panchromatic paper for this, please?

Probably the best way to do this and get good tonality might be to print onto film and reversal process for a negative, then print that. You could reversal process black and white or, heck, just use E6 if some filter experimentation could eliminate any color cast. A slight cast wouldn't hurt much, as long as it wasn't too red.
    If you're shooting sheet film you could contact to Ilford Direct Positive, and in turn contact it to regular silver gelatin of your choice.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Ilford direct positive paper is orthochromatic. Seems like you would not gain much from that technique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The Ilford direct positive paper is orthochromatic. Seems like you would not gain much from that technique.
    You're right. Anything red in the neg would not register on the paper, meaning green in the original scene would print as black or very dark.
    Panchromatic materials are required.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkasha View Post
    Somebody's auctioning off some Panalure. I have no relation to the seller, yadda yadda, but I thought the OP might be interested in this because it's relatively cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Photog...item3f1464ade1
    That's the prior Panalure Select, not the Select II. That means it's older and less likely to be in good shape. I thought the II worked quite well, but heard mixed reports about the prior version.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post

Hey Simon - could Ilford make a good panchromatic paper for this, please?
    Hi Roger, Ilford does make such a product, in RC and FB versions primarily for laser enlargers; see http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/...Papers+Digital It's only available in rolls though; perhaps Simon would arrange cut sheets if enough folk are interested.

Cheers,
    kevs
    Last edited by kevs; 05-07-2012 at 02:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: a bit more polite... :-)
    testing...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear jesterthejedi,

I've never tried it, but I read somewhere that lith printing works well with color negatives. Based on Ralph's response it could be because it is fairly easy to get a high contrast that way.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Another vote for making the Ilford panchromatic material available in cut sheets. I had no idea such a product existed any longer, but I have many color negatives I'd like to print in black and white, and I would give it a try (but buying a 20"x100' roll is out of the question). In the last two photo classes I've taken, there were a number of other students also trying to do print color negs on VC papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dropped Simon a PM to see if Ilford has any interest in this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    my advice is you will be dissapointed, the exposure times wil be long and contrast low, on the upside the grain is very fine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin