Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,955   Online: 785

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sure never saw "very fine" grain when I tried printing C-41 negs on VC paper. The lack of red sensitivity resulted in big gaps that gave the effect of very coarse grain. It's a false effect as C41 is generally very fine grained stuff.

Granted this was back in the 90s. Printed on Panalure those negs looked great, on VC they looked like crap. Maybe it was just my negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the Harman Digital fiber paper has a different sensitivity, designed to be exposed with very strong light sources. I hope I'm wrong.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger, stop distracting Simon. If they get sidetracked on Pan paper I'll never get Delta 50!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The Harmon paper is basically a grade 3 gallerie emulsion with an red sensitivity to be sensitive to RGB lasers.
    Agfa Classic or the Adox version was initially the only paper we found that would work with the lasers, then Harmon repurposed the Gallerie paper and its the version we use since Agfa went out of business and Mirko has not been able to offer a roll version in footage worth purchasing..
    The RC version I believe is an adaptation of the Ilford mg4 with red sensitivity added.

I think its a matter of changing the emulsions to accept laser light , not really an issue of needing very strong light sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I think the Harman Digital fiber paper has a different sensitivity, designed to be exposed with very strong light sources. I hope I'm wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for clarifying. I thought it had something to do with laser light.

Does the added red sensitivity make the paper panchromatic? And, in your opinion, would it be suitable for using C-41 color material to make prints using standard transmission light in a standard enlarger?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    The Harmon paper is basically a grade 3 gallerie emulsion with an red sensitivity to be sensitive to RGB lasers.
    Agfa Classic or the Adox version was initially the only paper we found that would work with the lasers, then Harmon repurposed the Gallerie paper and its the version we use since Agfa went out of business and Mirko has not been able to offer a roll version in footage worth purchasing..
    The RC version I believe is an adaptation of the Ilford mg4 with red sensitivity added.

I think its a matter of changing the emulsions to accept laser light , not really an issue of needing very strong light sources.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thomas
    I have never tested the paper under an enlarger to see its response to colour neg or bw neg for that matter.. I suspect it would be very much like a grade 4 paper, remember the calibration step is done to lay down tone before any files are printed so the computer adjusts itself to the emulsion it is trying to activate. Meaning contrast/density control is done before the paper is given any images to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thomas
    I have never tested the paper under an enlarger to see its response to colour neg or bw neg for that matter.. I suspect it would be very much like a grade 4 paper, remember the calibration step is done to lay down tone before any files are printed so the computer adjusts itself to the emulsion it is trying to activate. Meaning contrast/density control is done before the paper is given any images to print.
    You don't happen to have a roll of it...?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have three rolls of the RC , few years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You don't happen to have a roll of it...?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thomas
    Selectol soft (ok, off brand equivalent) and/or Beers or water bath - I could probably live with grade 4 if that's all that was available. I could for-sure live with grade 3. That would be my preference in a graded paper in only one grade anyway. In my experience most C41 is pretty tonally soft the impression of contrast coming more from the color contrast anyway. It's easy to swing a half grade each way with development controls, and it's rare I ever need anything softer than 2.5.

Yes please Simon if this is just red-sensitive Galerie that will work for optical printing of C41 negatives let us have it in sheets!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    That's the prior Panalure Select, not the Select II. That means it's older and less likely to be in good shape. I thought the II worked quite well, but heard mixed reports about the prior version.
    It seems I got my Panalures out of order. The Select was the one I liked, which followed Panalure II. I don't think there was a Select II. I don't see an expiration date on this paper though, or any mention of how it was stored.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin