Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,691   Online: 744

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Advice for a Small enlarger for 35mm

Any recommendations on a relatively small and compact enlarger for 35mm? I need only need to enlarge them to 5x7 paper. I need to archive quite a bit of 35mm negatives and I am so bored of scanning negatives. Thanks.

Ranie

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Durst Graduate.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Meopta Axomat is robust and inexpensive and parts are available - though not sure of US secondhand availability. The Durst M370 or Graduate, as Clive suggested, are quite smooth in operation or a Durst C35 (though I could never like mine when I was a teenager). A Leitz Valoy can be picked up cheaply and could do what you want: there are a fair number of older type enlargers from the 1950's and 60's that can be had for very little. US models might include the Omega C700 and similar, which is light weight and probably more available.
    Happy hunting, Mark Walker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want really small, Beseler PrintMaker 35 is pretty small and light. Its post isn't all that stable, so you'll have to be careful not moving much while the exposure is on.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Durst F60. It's small, simple, reliable, portable and very sturdy. Cheap, too. It will handle up to 6x6 negs. Here's what it looks like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Du...rger-a-RJP.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you were closer, I'd offer you my Vivitar E-34 enlarger. It's exactly what you are looking for.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...-enlarger.html
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second the Durst F60. I had never personally used a Durst but knew they were good. When I decided to buy a beater enlarger for flashing I found a Durst F60 for $15. Going through it to clean it up I was immediately impressed with its rigidity, simplicity and how the carrier works. It is a very basic unit but I can honestly say if I had to do it all over again and needed a 35mm enlarger I'd probably try to find a small Durst.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +1 for the Leitz Valoy / Valoy II. My Valoy II is my workhorse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Durst Magico I am not using. I will sell it to you cheap. Doesn't get any more compact than that. It was an enlarger for photojournalists for when they were on the road. If you are only going to 5x7 it is perfect. Plus it you can put it back in the box and in the closet in about a minute. I modified it quite a bit and it made really good prints. Can even make you a deal with a better lens etc. I have a bunch of enlarging lenses I don't need. Contrast filters too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the offers and replies. That Durst F60 looks nice as I also have a few 6x6 negs. I will read up on the other enlargers mentioned as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin