Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,008   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

print highlights and borders

As a (night class) student, I've had a couple of instructors say, one should NOT have highlights or whites that blend into the border (if you have a border). whites should always be burned in to a light grey (gray?) so as the border is always distinguishable from the print.
    I do this in class as the instructor wants it that way (gotta keep those marks up ya know), and that there is an exception to every "rule". So I put it to you APUG people: what is your preference? Edge of the border always discernible or can "whites" flow into the border?

perhaps I should take a class in spelling
    Last edited by rogueish; 11-26-2004 at 10:25 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling again

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I prefer to have discernible borders. If i have a totally white background i will usually pre-flash the paper first.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do what is right for a particular image, not some pre-conceived idea. If an image calls for a blinding white, whether it's the sky, a reflection or a light source and it's falls on the edge, that's what gets produced.
    That's my feeling - others may disagree, and that's OK.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am with Gene on this issue. Sometimes white must be white and burning it in to delineate borders might just make that area look mushy and bland. The negative will dictate how it should be printed.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    As a (night class) student, I've had a couple of instructors say, one should NOT have highlights or whites that blend into the border (if you have a border). whites should always be burned in to a light grey (gray?) so as the border is always distinguishable from the print.
    I do this in class as the instructor wants it that way (gotta keep those marks up ya know), and that there is an exception to every "rule". So I put it to you APUG people: what is your preference? Edge of the border always discernible or can "whites" flow into the border?

perhaps I should take a class in spelling
    I've done it, but only once, with mixed feelings on my part but it worked effectively because it helped to visually describe to the viewer a sense of space, which in this case was the inside of a cave.

One of the things I did though was to make this part of the print very light grey instead of pure white. This wasn't just a blank area but had detail; I needed to give the viewer a sense of the light source in the cave. If I could locate the print or negative easily I would scan it to show you what I'm talking of.

Generally though I don't think it is a good idea to lead the viewers eye out of the frame with with white space.

Don Bryant

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=rogueish]As a (night class) student, I've had a couple of instructors say, one should NOT have highlights or whites that blend into the border (if you have a border)[QUOTE]

I would say do what pleases the instructors if their marking approach is not that creative and you get better marks by doing that. If, in the real world, you are going to mount and mat your prints, you can always 'hold' the highlight detail with an ivory or antique white board if it is close to the edge.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The instructor is always right . . . inside the classroom. Outside those 4 walls, however, I'm with the others who suggest doing "what's right" for the specific image. Muddying down a highlight for border separation doesn't make sense to me. Once the print is in a mat, the border won't show anyway.

The other alternative, of course, is to be a "troublemaker" in class, and make all your borders black.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW I print as I see fit depending upon what it is I'm trying to achieve. Personally, I don't like 'grey' skies just to create a definite border. If the sky blends into the border, so be it.

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just print them all full frame with the black edge around it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I guess your instructor would fail Brett Weston on this image.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin