Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,444   Online: 1186

Shooter
    Medium Format

Creating A negative image by enlarging a positive film (scala)

Hello,
    I have searched and searched for using Agfa's Scala to make a traditional black and white print (not a reversal print) but can find nothing. I've read about people using reversal paper to print with, but I'm not looking for a positive end result. Is it possible to use this film with regular black and white paper to obtain a end result that is a negative of the slide? I know the DR5 lab can make a positive image from many black and white films. Is there any film which is better suited for this purpose? I've read that Agfa's Scala is ideal for projecting...does this include projecting onto photographic paper? Thanks for any experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it's possible, but the slide will likely have more contrast than a printable negative.

Your printing paper has a certain range, or tone scale. When you step outside that range you get either pitch black or paper white. A negative is designed to have a range of tones to fit your paper. A positive film image is not designed for that purpose, but it's designed to be viewed as it is, as a finished product, via a projector, so its range will not be optimized for printing on regular photo paper.

With that said - try it! You just never know what will happen until you try it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't worry, I'm definitely going to try it. I had just noticed a batch of unexpired Scala on ebay and didn't know if I should get some for this purpose or if perhaps other films processed as positives would give a better result. For some reason I thought about the contrast issue. I considered pull-processing for lesser contrast, maybe using a low contrast filter, etc. As you said, experimentation is most likely what is needed. I posed the question hoping that someone else had a tried-and-true suggestion. I'm not there yet anyway, just posing a question based on curiosity. Thanks for the info.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin