Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,242   Online: 819

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dektol powder

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Not sure about mixing portions of the powder at time of printing is a good idea.
    I would agree with Bob. Unless you can find out the weight of powder required for 1 gallon, and weigh it out, go ahead and mix up the entire 5 gallons. Dektol stock solution will keep much longer than Kodak's shelf life alludes to.

The classic Dektol dilutions are 1:2 for general work, and 1:3. Others have come up with their own dilutions to meet their needs. Never hurts to try anything, but I would recommend to start with 1:2.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys.

I spent seven hours in the darkroom playing with different negatives and the dektol; got mediocre to poor results, but I'm sure it wasn't the chemistry.

Three quarters of the way through the print session, I found out that my safelight was too close to the paper and was fogging it before I could get it exposed. Through off my test strips and everything. I guess this means I'll have to go back and try all over again, woohoo!

I think the dektol is doing its job. Now I just have to give it something worth developing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd throw that safelight out and get a red one. IMHO a good red safelight running at normal levels will never fog your average VC paper and will definately never fog graded paper. Pan paper is another ballgame so we won't go there.
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin