Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,253   Online: 755

Shooter
    Multi Format

Creating Film Negative by Enlarging a Film/ Slide Positive

I'm going to piggy-back on a recent post similar to this topic but which was just different enough to warrant a new thread instead of just posting it in the existing one. I am also aware that this has been touched on in the past but I have not found direct answers to my particular query.

I'm interested in enlarging positive film (any slide film or B&W reversal processed film) onto a larger piece of traditional B&W negative film (not lith) for the purpose of producing enlarged negatives suitable for alt-process and Azo. . The issue of the contrast of slide film being too great for enlargement onto paper is void here since I'll be exposing onto film, not paper. I know people do this but I've had a difficult time finding a solid explanation and instructions for how to go about it since it is far more common to scan these days which I am very aware of but not interested in with this particular case.

Basically, can I expose/ enlarge slide (positive) film onto regular B&W negative film and achieve an enlarged negative? Is the higher contrast of slide film helpful in this situation or a hinderance? Would it be better to contact print B&W negative film (much lower contrast) onto another piece of B&W neg film to produce a positive, develop to the same contrast as the original, and then enlarge that lower contrast film-interpositive onto a larger sheet of B&W neg film to achieve the enlarged negative?

I'm interested in this specific process of enlarging film positives to larger negatives, not the alternatives so lets please try to stay on topic and not go astray with conversations of digital negatives, duplicating film, etc., although if reversal processing your original B&W neg to positive plays a role that might be worth explaining. Thank you!!
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have made excellent b/w prints from color slides by enlarging the slides onto to Efke PL 25 then contact printing the negative: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/191281...ets?cat_id=404 The film needs to be handled and processed in complete darkness except for a few seconds with a dark green (Kodak #3) filter here and there. And at ISO 25 the exposures in your enlarger will be pretty short with a small aperture compared to printing onto conventional photo paper. With some experimentation you can get very nice results, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For ease of use you can use orthochromatic materials and work under a safelight. You can control contrast with selection of developer and development time. If the originals are in color you can use panchromatic film and work in the dark to get a better representation of the original. Again, contrast control is the same as working with any film; dependent on the development conditions.

If you want to know specifics, I put the film in a conventional enlarger easel to make the exposure and process the film in trays under safelight (ortho) or a Jobo rotary daylight drum (pan).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great! It sounds like enlarging from slide film (positive) onto regular B&W neg film should work like a fairly straight forward process of making a negative in camera and then developing for the correct contrast! I develop by inspection so shouldn't really be any different then, correct? Thanks guys!
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin