Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,454   Posts: 1,597,215   Online: 1224

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    May I suggest making a contact print of your negatives before enlarging them. This will give you a good basic exposure time/aperture which you can use to guide you in making a print from the negatives.

The time and aperture which you can best use would be found by (. . . long explanation follows . . .) setting your enlarger-head to a height where the light from the empty neg-carrier covers 10x8", with a half inch or so spare. Focus the edge of the neg-carrier sharp by eye, and double check you are still going to be covering the 10x8" paper. This size of paper is the smallest size which fits six strips of six shots of 35mm negatives - it seems from your other thread that you are using 35mm Lucky film, so it will fit on this size paper. (EDIT2: It turns out the person using 35mm Lucky film was someone else, but 120 roll in 6x6 format will also fit fine on this size of paper.)

Put the paper down, arrange the negs on top (holding them only by the edges of course) and place a piece of glass or polycarbonate-plastic (a little larger than the paper) on top to keep the negatives flat and in contact with the paper. Make your test strip with the lens stopped down to f8, so that with a grade-2 filter you can only just see the smallest possible difference between black background in the holes in the film and the 'clear' part of the negatives next to the holes. This is the beginning time for a print for an averagely well exposed negative at that contrast grade and head height. For sure it is unlikely to be the best possible time, certainly not for every shot, but it gives a good indication of what is going on with your camera-exposures and film-developing as you 'should' have recognisable images on the contact sheet. If you always follow this routine you will always have a consistent guide to which shots need more or less printing exposure or contrast, and a consistent benchmark for changing camera exposure or film development too.

The development time for the paper would usually be between one and two minutes for RC paper. Check the documentation with your paper and print-developer for the manufacturers recommendations.

Posting a shot of the contact sheet will enable further advice from the forum to be based on something visual instead of just words. That will save a lot of messing about!

Obvious first checks might be to note that you should most likely be using separate developers for the film and the print ('universal' developers exist but even with these the dilutions are very different) and that you have the paper the right way up. You can check the emulsion side of the paper by looking at the curl of it. For the RC paper I have here, Kentmere, the emulsion side is the convex side of the curve. The old test with fibre-paper would be to dampen a finger and then touch both sides to feel the difference, but Resin Coated paper seems pretty much the same front and back.

Good luck.

EDIT:
    Good question from the poster above. What is your location and native language? Maybe someone can give you a quick demo, or at least a more understandable explanation.
    Last edited by MartinP; 06-09-2012 at 12:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: update

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Perhaps you have forgotten to move the red filter to one side. I forget this often.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    I have updated my Location

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We don't know enough about what you are doing to help you in any meaningful way. Please explain everything starting from your equipment, setup, materials, timing, and what you are doing. Otherwise, we'd be guessing wildly at your problem.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Are you exposing the emulsion side of the paper?
    That is a possiblitliy. You would be suprised how many photo students at my school expose with the emulsion side facing down! If you are not sure which side has the emulsion, hold it up at an angle to your safe light. The side with matte sheen is the side you want. If you still cannot tell, lick a finger and touch a corner of the paper. The sticky side is the emulsion side... please don't lick the paper!

andrew

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    That is a possiblitliy. You would be suprised how many photo students at my school expose with the emulsion side facing down! If you are not sure which side has the emulsion, hold it up at an angle to your safe light. The side with matte sheen is the side you want. If you still cannot tell, lick a finger and touch a corner of the paper. The sticky side is the emulsion side... please don't lick the paper!

andrew
    That is why students new to darkroom work should use gloss, as it is easier to see the difference between the emulsion side and the back.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wonder if paper developer was used?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Devizes - very English sounding village
    OK, so you are in UK. Good.have you replied to the message from Simon? - on your thread about filters to use.He has offered to send you a book free of charge.This guy is from Ilford.Take up his offer.
    2nd. do not get discouraged with problems as once we find out what the problem is you will see how easy it all is, hey, you have developed the film no problems.
    As i said in the enlarger thread, i have meopta 6 and the under lens filter did not fit well for me, i do not know if the meopta 3 will have same problem.How about not using the filters to start and see if you can get an image on the paper.
    The lens you are using (75mm) is the lens for 120 size film,you should really be using a 50mm lens and i think you will find that the lensboard ( the place you screw lens into on enlarger) is reversible. The lensboard should recess for 50mm and protrude for 75mm.
    You say that you are using f 4.5 for the test strips and have tried various times up to 20 seconds, this time at
    f 4.5 should have given a result you could work from. 2 seconds would be far too light, 20 seconds should have given some image. I am assuming that you have 35mm negatives by the way.
    I suspect you are exposing the wrong side of the paper or your enlarger does not have the correct bulb, or you are not shifting the red under lens filter away when you make your exposure.
    And these are all mistakes many still make at times, i have a blackboard in darkroom to list the process and still occasionally forget something.
    To test the paper emulsion side theory simply do two test strips at the same time using both sides of the paper.
    Assume that this is the paper developer you are using
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	52276

Shooter
    35mm
    In the Darkroom what I am doing is mixing up the chemical baths and getting them to 20C then I put the neg in the enlarger and shine it down on to my board so I can focus it ok. then I put the red safe light on in the room with the safe light filter over the enlarger. Then I line up a pace of cut paper to develop to then I set my Philips Enlarger Timer PDC1010 to the correct seconds then move the red safe filter out the way and insert grade 2 and do a test strip like you i have read on here and in books . I then develop it and hope something comes out

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A few questions:

1. What "chemicals" are you using? List them.

2. How do you know what the "correct seconds" are?

3. What paper are you using?

4. What is your "grade 2" filter?? In my experience, grade 2 generally doesn't need a filter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin