Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,015   Online: 798

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Doing a B+W test strip using Ilford filters and Ilford multigrade paper

Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me as i am having problems doing a test strip. as I am having problems doing a good test strip i have tries 2 seconds, all the way until you reach 10 seconds on the sheet i have also tries 10 seconds up till Twenty But all I get is ever a really light or nothing or just a few little spots when put in the developer I have tried grade 1-2 and 3 and it makes no difference where am I going wrong??
    Last edited by morrisphotos123; 06-09-2012 at 05:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me as i am having problems doing a test strip. as I am having problems doing a good test strip i have tries 2 seconds, all the way until you reach 10 seconds on the sheet i have also tries 10 seconds up till Twenty But all I get is ever a really light or nothing or just a few little spots when put in the developer I have tried grade 1-2 and 3 and it makes no difference where am I going wrong??

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What do your negatives look like? are they quite dark?
    What aperture is the lens set at?
    Are you using f11-f16?
    I would forget grade 1 and 2 for now.I usually do test strips in 5-7 second stages depending on the negative and format.Sometimes up to 35 seconds in total.

Shooter
    35mm
    how do you mean What aperture is the lens set at are you meaning the enlarger lens i dont quite get what yo mean 5-7 second stages depending on the negative and format.Sometimes up to 35 seconds in total. also the negs seem quite pail

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the paper is coming out white or too light, then you are under-exposing and you need to expose for longer.
    If it's coming out too dark then you need to expose for less time.

If you are exposing with an enlarger then the lens should have an aperture setting ring with numbers like 5.6, 8, 11, 22 etc on it. Setting it to f/11 would be a good starting point.

Also perhaps you could describe what paper you are using and how you are developing it (what chemicals, in what order, for how long) in case there is a problem there.
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 06-09-2012 at 06:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes the enlarger lens, what aperture are you using for your test strip?
    For 35mm i usually test strip print at 5 second stages using f8. 7 seconds if the print a little dark
    ( overexposed) 7 seconds x 5 = 35 seconds.
    Have a look at the links below

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/as...negatives-4682

Shooter
    35mm
    The lens i have is a Meopta Belar 4,5/75 the f setting i have are 4,5 5,6 8 11 16 22 I have it on 4,5 witch is wide open

Shooter
    35mm RF
    what paper are you using?
    Are you exposing the emulsion side of the paper?

Shooter
    35mm
    well i think i am esposing the emulsion side is the side that feels smooth

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    By the sounds of it, you could do with spending an hour or so with somebody who can demonstrate the basics of darkroom work - If we knew where you were, someone may offer to show you the ropes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin