Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,057   Online: 1235

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking Notes

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I do prety much what Dean described. On the tougher prints I'll also draw up what I did on graph paper and keep that with the contact sheet/negs.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, I do what Dean does too. I have a log book (spiral bound quadrille grid) I keep notes in it basically because I hate re-inventing the wheel! haha It's just some part of my brain that needs to keep track of things!
    So I keep notes about the neg I'm printing, the type of paper, exposure, filtering and any dodging/burning.

I tried making a form for this, too, but I found the form too structured (even for me ). I don't think it makes a hoots difference if you keep notes or not. People who track things will keep notes and those who don't won't!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my earlier post I should have said I make notes for every finished print I make, or intend to make. After I reread it I realize it makes me look like I'm some kind of bookkeeping nut in the darkroom. If a print doesn't show good promise by the "correct exposure" stage of my enlarging scheme, I usually jot a few numbers on the back of it and throw it into the "review next month/year/decade" pile.
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have made some very comprehensive forms with MS Word to aid my photography.
    I have one for developing film (the one I worked most on), one for printing, one for shooting and one for keeping info on the mixed chemicals.
    They are all in greek (apart from the chemicals and film ofcourse) so I will have to translate them. I may post them tomorrow if people are interested.
    I have been meaning to give them away to APUG members for some time, but I always revise them and make changes and so I haven't done the english ones yet.
    They have helped me enormously, especially during my first years in the darkroom when I was still a beginner (and still am).
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have always kept a notebook. Three ring for silver printing, bound book for alt process. A necessity for alt processes because they are sooooo many variables. I draw small sketches of the image, record aperture, lens stage height, number of standard exposures and developer info. The sketch shows the burn and dodge pattern with plus and minus standard exposures.

Note of caution. Early on I decided to get real fancy and do all my notes in red ink. Bad idea. Sadly the ink and the safelight were about the same color....
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka
    Have always kept a notebook. Three ring for silver printing, bound book for alt process. A necessity for alt processes because they are sooooo many variables. I draw small sketches of the image, record aperture, lens stage height, number of standard exposures and developer info. The sketch shows the burn and dodge pattern with plus and minus standard exposures.

Note of caution. Early on I decided to get real fancy and do all my notes in red ink. Bad idea. Sadly the ink and the safelight were about the same color....
    What is it they say....the best laid plans of mice & men.... haha
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since I'm just learning in the darkroom I have found it helpful to keep notes so I can better visualize the results of some processes. I use a simple form I made up. The form has fields at the top for all the information I keep and a few boxes at the bottom I use to depict any dodging, burning, etc... I do to the print. I will post the form when I get home this evening for anyone interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always write the exposure formula on the back of the print. I usually have several ideas I'm testing, and I learned long ago that I can't remember which is which.

Since I use sheet film almost exclusively and file each sheet separately, I use individual sheets of paper for notes that can be filed with the negative. If I have to do dodging or burning, I draw a small rectangle on the paper and put in +++ for burning, or ooo for dodging and put the amount of time out to the side. I use a separate little rectangle for each step. (I think I got this idea from Picker, but I don't remember for sure - I know I didn't think of it.) I've found that's close enough for me to figure out what to do when I return to a negative for reprinting. Of course, I seldom print exactly the same way again, but at least I know what I did before.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is the print log I promised. Its based on one Rolfe Horn shows on his web site . If any one has any suggestions for changes I would like to here them.
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep printing notes on a small sheet of paper, which I put into the contact prints transparent plastic sleeve. I write down the film number, frame number, print date, developer, toning (if there will be any) and put all burn and dodge info on a single sketch.

If I can't do a burn/dodge operation with my hands, because it requires a weird shape, then I cut a scrap photo paper accordingly. I usually file this negative specific "dodge/burn tool" with the contact sheet as well.
    As you can see, I certainly feel the need to be able to replicate earlier results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin