Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,610   Online: 892

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking Notes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Print Log

Thanks eheldreth, I like that log. I also try to take pretty good notes, since I'm still learning and I like to be able to look back to see what I was doing. I think I may give your example sheet a try though, as the one I've been using lacks the manipulations areas. I got this one from a book by Shultz I think. It was and is free to copy in case anyone likes it. I like it, but I've been thinking about modifying it to add some areas like your example has.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    Thanks eheldreth, I like that log. I also try to take pretty good notes, since I'm still learning and I like to be able to look back to see what I was doing. I think I may give your example sheet a try though, as the one I've been using lacks the manipulations areas. I got this one from a book by Shultz I think. It was and is free to copy in case anyone likes it. I like it, but I've been thinking about modifying it to add some areas like your example has.
    Looks like the attachment didn't work last time...Ok, I uploaded it this time
    Attached Files

This is what I use. In the boxes I draw where the burn/dodge areas are and for how much time.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails datasheet 2.jpg  
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks everybody! You've given me a lot to think about and try trying, or just give up and not feel so bad about it. .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    This is what I use. In the boxes I draw where the burn/dodge areas are and for how much time.
    Michael

Michael,

I like the form -- the fields of "soft time" and "hard time" bring to mind visions of a split filtered justice system where prisoners are sentenced to soft time in a minimum security institution, and hard time in somewhere like Fulsom. (:

-KwM-

I like to treat my prints like the proverbial country club, but occasionally you get the habitual offender that needs a lot of hard time. These ones are sentenced to a specified time of listening to me tell jokes or sing Irish drinking songs.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Printing Form for Roll Film

This form I use is for roll film 35mm/6x6cm, so it might not be that useful for LF unless you make some changes.
    It's great for multiple image printing though.
    Some notes:

- f Hd is the apperture of the light of the enlarger head, if your enlarger supports it.
    - f Ln is the apperture of the lens.
    The + - boxes are for dodging and burning notes. e.g.:
    + | Area | Face |
    - | /Tim/Filt | + 2" 0.5 |

You are welcome to make any changes (eg. paper size, temp, lens) but if you make millions out of it, I will claim my copyright!
    Last edited by arigram; 01-12-2008 at 07:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by oriecat
    I am horrible at taking notes. I made myself a little form to use and I never use it. I don't know if I just haven't found the right system to work for me, if I just need to be more persistent and train myself, or if it's just an inherent character flaw. What do you do? Do you have a standard form, just blank pages in a notebook, write it on the back of the prints before processing, or ??

Thanks
    I was horrible at noting things too. So I spoke my data on a little voice recorder. And a computer program (dragon naturally speaking) translated this automatically into text. It worked for shooting situations too.

Now I just write enlarger height, Fstop, papergrade and exposure time on the back of each print with a soft pencil. Like this:

H 56 cm
    F 11
    # 2 1/2
    sec 12
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think most LF camera people take some kind of notes. When I use to shoot 35mm I never took notes, but I can refer back to my notes form 30 years ago and possibly figure out how I got such a good negative and tones on a certain print. ( I found Out which film and developer I used back then). As time goes by we find that we have changed so many things that quality may be lacking and with the notes we can find our way back to the quality situation we once had.

Mike
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by oriecat
    ...or just give up and not feel so bad about it. .
    I also am not very dedicated. Here is a starting point. Each roll
    through the camera is one of a series; roll 3 of 2001 is marked
    3 - 01, roll 12 of 2004 is marked 12 - 04 etc. When sleeved
    that information and the range of frame numbers are
    marked on the sleeve.
    For my 6x4.5 15 exposures two 3x5 10 line cards are assigned
    each roll. Exposure and processing information are recorded
    in that order.
    Prints are marked on back and the print info goes on 3x5s. Dan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin