Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,381   Online: 1088

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Print size?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    about 8x10" is great to hold in hand, portfolio, samples etc and some may look good on the wall too.
    normally, bigger than 20x24" is challenging to do in the darkroom. rolls are needed instead of sheets, trays are not big, and those for 20x24" are already not easy to handle, especially if done alone.
    but in the right mood (experimentalism, passion, vision, need) everything can work - different materials, odd sizes etc. the endeavor itself is cool, and the results are exciting many times.
    size and printing technique depends on the content and the desired aesthetic rendition. theres something "photographic" in the darkroom crafted print that is big enough to engage, but not too big to loose the contact with the frame. so besides the experimental vibe, the 8x10 to 20x24 sizes work very well actually.
    presentation, lighting, and other viewing aspects are important too for a complete impact of the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to stick to smaller sizes -- 8x8 inch images on 9.5x12 paper is my most common, and that's with MF film. 35mm I tend to stick to smaller papers sizes like 8x10. Part of it's practical -- I'm far from being an advanced printer in the darkroom, so I still feel I'm in learning mode, and that it's more cost-effective to work with smaller sizes. Also, as I often have to work in community darkrooms, it's usually best to stick to papers that can easily fit in 11x14 inch trays (or smaller in many cases). Aesthetically though, I prefer smaller prints anyway -- I like getting up close and personal with prints (mine or others) and I can't really do that with larger sizes.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks for the tray link eddie.
    gandolfi, i also dont think the roll method will work with hand coated papers. they are different to handle and should be done with more care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    I tend to stick to smaller sizes -- 8x8 inch images on 9.5x12 paper is my most common, and that's with MF film. 35mm I tend to stick to smaller papers sizes like 8x10. Part of it's practical -- I'm far from being an advanced printer in the darkroom, so I still feel I'm in learning mode, and that it's more cost-effective to work with smaller sizes. Also, as I often have to work in community darkrooms, it's usually best to stick to papers that can easily fit in 11x14 inch trays (or smaller in many cases). Aesthetically though, I prefer smaller prints anyway -- I like getting up close and personal with prints (mine or others) and I can't really do that with larger sizes.
    I think it was 1989 when I saw a huge Ansel Adams exhibition in London at te Barbican, some prints were quite large. In the bar gallery there were small jewel like Kertesz prints they had an intimacy and also intensity. These were original contemporary prints not those made many years later and printed larger which looked terrible in comparison.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm

semi-OT

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I have some trays for 32x40 inch prints. The trays are about 34.5x42.5 inches. They weren't cheap (about $125 each, when buying 6 at a time), but they work better than my old roll 'em method. Roll 'em works fine for RC, but is much more difficult with fiber. I also do some which are about 21x58 inches. I have no problem rolling them, even in fiber.

Emil- I'm still working on getting my liquid emulsion right, but the goal is very large prints.
    I've used frames of 1x4 on the floor with a layer of heavy poly sheeting (Vis-Queen) draped into it. Empty it with a sponge

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    11x14, 16x16, 16x20, 20x20 and 20x24 are the only sizes I print in right now from 35mm and 120 format. I don't shy away from 20x24s from 35mm negs unless they're really thin and the contrast filter needed is beyond #5 plus cold developer. I sometimes do 8x10 RC prints for snapshots for friends, etc. but for my exhibition stuff, I go 11x14 and above on fibre. I'd love to go bigger, but I just can find time to custom build a 30x40 easel or money to buy large rolls of FB paper in that size. I then start thinking of the matting I'd need to use for it and then building the frames and cutting the glass for it and I loose interest. Maybe one day though.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    You'll save about $30 each through US Plastics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some really large Agfa papers in the basement. Since they are so old I plan on doing some lith work with them when I figure out the tray problem. /matti

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    I have some really large Agfa papers in the basement. Since they are so old I plan on doing some lith work with them when I figure out the tray problem. /matti
    If it is the AGFA classic, MATT, then you could sell them... fantastic for bromoil printing I hear....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin