Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,061   Online: 937

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For reference, flocking-

http://www.protostar.biz/hitack.htm

By the way, many photographic tools can be improved by flocking. I have flocked my 4x5's, an Ikoflex, the insides of lens hoods, enlargers....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Put a lens cap on n then inspect everyting to find your light leak. Use a mirror under the lens to inspect where it may be leaking as well. There just may be a srew missing n the stray light is coming from the hole.. you'd be surprised.

Blackening the edges of the negative carrier is very important as is blackening the edges of the easel n the enlarger's base board, see there are no reflection off the walls near or behid your enlarger. Any reflections or leaks will cause havoc.

OH I also found my timmer's green glow in the dark face was causing fog so I put a red filter over it.

Once you get rid of all your leaks n reflections, you are home free n will have nothing else to do. THis little crap keeps us busy.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Put a lens cap on n then inspect everyting to find your light leak. Use a mirror under the lens to inspect where it may be leaking as well. There just may be a srew missing n the stray light is coming from the hole.. you'd be surprised.

Blackening the edges of the negative carrier is very important as is blackening the edges of the easel n the enlarger's base board, see there are no reflection off the walls near or behid your enlarger. Any reflections or leaks will cause havoc.

OH I also found my timmer's green glow in the dark face was causing fog so I put a red filter over it.

Once you get rid of all your leaks n reflections, you are home free n will have nothing else to do. THis little crap keeps us busy.
    I appreciate your advice. But I don't think you read the posts in the thread before posting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I did read your initial post n SOME of the answers offered throughout the pages with your comebacks.

I really can'st see where your mysterious lines are coming from except you are using an 80mm lens for 6x6 n 645 where a 75mm is more appropiate.

BTW The "lines" you refer to are the non-image bars outside the framed area which look like slots in the easel blades? Get a 75mm lens n tell me if your problem goes away?

Are you in NYC?.. PM me, come over n pick up my 75mm n give it a try?

EDIT: Something just hit me.. do you need to adjust your condensers for different formats?

Last edited by paul ron; 07-04-2012 at 04:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I owe a final update. Hopefully it benefits someone having the same problem in the future.

Two L-shaped masks made from flocking material, tucked above the first fold of the bellow provided the best solution to eliminate the stray lights. Here is a picture of the mask:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120712235753-5dbce913.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	53862

And here is a view of the projected image from a 6x7 negative. No stray lines of light visible after putting the masks inside the bellows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120712235754-048145a4.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	53863

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So the "leak" was reflected light bouncing off the edges of the bellows? I don't understand why the negative carrier wasn't acting as a mask.

Glad you solved the mystery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    So the "leak" was reflected light bouncing off the edges of the bellows? I don't understand why the negative carrier wasn't acting as a mask.

Glad you solved the mystery.

The pesky illuminated portion of the bellows is between the negative carrier and the lens. His mask blocks the light to or from (I can't tell by the picture) that area and solved the problem. His mask is flocked and does not project an image.

Enlargers are not perfect and I suspect most good printers have a few modifications or tweaks to optimize performance. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 07-13-2012 at 05:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin