Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,628   Posts: 1,647,941   Online: 1060

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I just hope his sidekick MM does not surface as well.

Huh? There's MM also? Are there NN and QQ, too?
    Is this a family affair??
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Dinesh and MM together are too much to handle, I just hope they stay away.
    Well they do seem to be close I am not sure if they are related but if ugly was a family trait they would be identical twins.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Huh? There's MM also? Are there NN and QQ, too?
    Is this a family affair??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I see we are having a bad day. It happens and I kinow the feeling well. Solution?... shut down for a while n take up another hobby till this cloud blows over!

When I fire up the darkroom, I generally have at lest 4 rolls of images backed up. So spending too much time on any one images isn't happening. Either it prints or it doesn't. I use my junk paper I call it, the cheap stuff, as my proofs. I make my prints for the night, dry n press em out. The next day I inspect em for composition n improvements making notes right on the print in question.

Next time inthe darkroom I concentrate on the few I've selected.. but remeber I told you I am backed up by at least 4 rolls so there still isn't much time to spend on any one negative. Either it works or it doesn't.

If an image has gotten my fancy n is truely special it will talk to me and I will spend more time on it but that goes on for a few more darkroom sessions... but remeber I am always backed up 4 rolls. I don't fire up my darkroom for any less thaan 4 rolls.

It's a hobby not a job.. I retired n have many hobbies to futz with if any one of em isn't behaving. You really have to know when to walk away n give it a rest.

Hey, maybe your negatives need improvement, not your printing at all? Exposures, development.. you know the drill.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have often wondered if Ansel Adams liked what he printed. Maybe that is why he had other darkroom assistants. I don't think there has been a time that I didn't like what someone else has printed. Unless it was just bad printing. Stains or whatever. I think I am over critical of my stuff but I do have a stopping point. If you sell your photos, then if it sells, you have done something right to please them.
    I remember when I had a studio, I sometimes would point out something I didn't like in the photo they were buying. I found myself telling me to shut up because they were oohhing and aaawwwing over it. They walked out smiling and I was to for them buying it. I have won state association contest with prints I didn't really like. I guess the judges had a different view that I had on what it should or shouldn't look like.
    Slow down and smell the roses.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll agree that taking a short break might help but don't ever let other things in your life keep you away from what you love. Otherwise, it can be very difficult to get motivated to start again. If you have other hobbies then concentrate on those for a short while. Or maybe there are other things you need to get done?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am a very moderate printer, and I know that, but I enjoy the whole proces
    of analog photography very much and that is why I keep on going.

When I see what one get out of a negative like in Larry Bartlett B&W printing workshop book, I think that is just amazing. I know I will NEVER achieve that kind of skill, but I guess that is what is called talent. Nevertheless, I am having a great time with it.

Have fun !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob Carnie: I just wanted to ask you to clarify this sentence from an earlier post (page 8 on this thread) where you said:

"I suggest burning with both depending upon your needs,
    I look for slight difference between the white under the easel blades and lets say a white sky, the moment I see the line of the blades is when wet I stop. Same goes for snow."

I'm just not sure what you mean by "the moment I see the line of the blades is when I stop"??

Thanks. I'm learning from this thread.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Good question

A lot of prints just need minimum white, the white under the blades is receiving no exposure and is paper white.
    If snow , grey/white sky, or fluffy white cats come to the border of the print the point you start seeing the easel blade is where I stop.
    I take in account dry down .
    It will show as a line of the blades holding the paper down.
    when matted one will only see the white, and any density below the white will show as darker tones.
    This white/blade line is controlled by the main exposure and in situations is aided with lower filter burn.
    A grade 5 burn will not get you the line, but the grade 5 burn will darken tones that will accept it and create more details in white.

Hope that makes sense.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    Bob Carnie: I just wanted to ask you to clarify this sentence from an earlier post (page 8 on this thread) where you said:

"I suggest burning with both depending upon your needs,
    I look for slight difference between the white under the easel blades and lets say a white sky, the moment I see the line of the blades is when wet I stop. Same goes for snow."

I'm just not sure what you mean by "the moment I see the line of the blades is when I stop"??

Thanks. I'm learning from this thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post

Hope that makes sense.

Bob

Yup, it does. Thank you.

Do you guys need something funny to laugh about? There was a print I was having so much trouble and I wanted to print well. This print spawned this thread. It's a photograph of a mother holding a baby. It was captured at a birthday party I was invited to as a photographer for the day. Since this mother wasn't the hostess for the day, I had no idea who that was. This was someone who attended the party. But, since it was a nice image, I wanted to print it and pass it along to the mother as a gift.

Well, finally, I made a print I was reasonably happy with. Not extremely pleased with myself but everyone I showed it to said it was a great print. Indeed, I can point out a fault or two in it but it captured the mood that I wanted. So I called it DONE.

I made a scan of it and showed it to the host (who is my coworker) to find out who it was. Now, drum rolls, please....

He says the child does not belong to the mother. She just picked up someone else's baby and was playing with her. Now I have a print, a nice print, mounted, matted, sleeved, and ready to go, with no one to give it to!!!

I am not quite sure what I feel about this whole thing but I decided to be happy about it because I actually learned a lot from the process.

Anyway, that's how this story is going to end.... I have a nice print with no recipient.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sadly (I suppose), for those of us obsessive with fine print quality, I have found in general nobody really notices, or even cares, unless you're either showing it to another photographer fanatical about printing, or you're at a workshop instructed by a photographer known for masterful printing. Of course, print quality may have a kind of subconcious effect on the casual viewer/buyer/layperson, but mostly if the image is good, that's enough. They don't seem to value "tonality", detailed highlights/shadows and all that other stuff we work on. That's been my experience, at least. It's the primary reason I went to a Sexton workshop several years back. I really needed someone I respected to look at my work and tell me what he thought. It was the best thing I've done. It reassured me I was not wasting my time working so hard on my prints. I needed that kind of feedback because nobody else notices. Now, if I can just get a workshop going with George Tice, that would be the last piece of the puzzle for me...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin