Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,855   Posts: 1,582,950   Online: 980

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    How are you guys making decisions early in the process?
    I don't. Not until I see the work print.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am making the bulk of my decisions in the developer, I turn the lights on only for 15 secs move on and trash the first test print. I never look backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I don't. Not until I see the work print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow...

just like that mural sized paper goes to trash?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Why keep shite????
    QUOTE=tkamiya;1361343]Wow...

just like that mural sized paper goes to trash?[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I am making the bulk of my decisions in the developer, I turn the lights on only for 15 secs move on and trash the first test print. I never look backwards.
    That's pretty much what I do too. I put the work print in the fixer, turn on the lights, look at it under a trusted light source, decide what to do, make some notes (or I forget). Then I move on to the next sheet of paper.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When it's WAY off... I do that too... like the time my paper turns pitch black in developer or very faint density building up. But as you get close, how far do you go, especially when you are working with FB? When I get within like half a stop of being right, I have to at least do a quick wash and blow dry so I can assess the change necessary.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    1/2 stop??

I question why you need to see it dry , we all know all about dry down and if you are using a paper over and over the dry down is consistent and predictable.
    I make the print exactly as I think is should look when dry and then make a slightly darker and sometimes slightly lighter . Generally I like the middle print the next day.
    All dodging and burning is seen way before in the developer.

I have heard all about the microwave, letting a print dry , having a glass of wine and analyzing test strips or patches and putting patches over a print to see different tones, or even the stories about diagrams that photographers give assistants to fix parts of a print which IMHO is a bunch of totally useless bullshit...

Those are all good stories, and yes entertaining at workshops where a named photographer/printer must justify their printing styles and fees for the workshop, and humble the students with their seemingly mastery of a process, but most top end printers I have ever met, and I have met a lot here and in travels , do not hesitate, they are decisive and fast, and able to repeat their steps. I have never seen one keep a bad print other than to use as a toner test strip.

I think you are being very hard on yourself and should loosen up and stop trying to make master pieces and try making nice prints that tell the story and you are happy to hang on a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    When it's WAY off... I do that too... like the time my paper turns pitch black in developer or very faint density building up. But as you get close, how far do you go, especially when you are working with FB? When I get within like half a stop of being right, I have to at least do a quick wash and blow dry so I can assess the change necessary.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    By the way ,,, isn't Ralph L in Florida right now ,, he can make some pretty shit hot prints I hear, why not ask him to come to your darkroom and spend a day with you... I do not have any commercial interest in Ralph only respect in what he talks about here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob,

You have SO MUCH experience.... the process may seem natural to you. To me, accurately judging the effects of dry-down is not possible. I can get close but not close enough. So I wait until it dries. Otherwise, I'll print pages that I don't like any of.... One thing though, I decided to use JUST ONE paper and one texture. So in time, I may get better. It took me awhile before I found a paper that I liked enough to stick with for time being.

Yeah, I'd love to sit with Ralph, even to just watch him print. I've been to his area... not too far from here. An hour and a little maybe?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes I do amaze myself in how incredibly talented I am...Dinesh will probably jump in here about now.

All I am trying to say is make the darkroom experience easier for yourself and you will make better prints. Also I cannot help but wonder how much wastage of paper is going on with time lapses introduced in your workflow.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin