Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,980   Online: 906

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone else feel like this?

I can't just make a print anymore....

When I RE-started this *darkroom thing* a few years ago, I could go into my darkroom for a few hours and churn out 5 prints or so and come out satisfied I did something. Those prints were *beautiful*. None of those images required any dodging and burning, either. I was GOOD!

Now few years later, I work on ONE frame for over a month. Go into D/R, print *just* one image. Process it all the way and wait few hours to dry.... hum.... NOPE. Not right! Not even close!! Go back in again and print a few with varying exposure, contrast, etc, etc, etc.... wash and dry.... meh.... Back again the next day and get something close..... Tone, wash, and dry.... arghhhhh! Too dark! Too light! Wrong color! Back to square one. 15 sheets of 11x14 later, get something close. Oh no.... a drying mark/stain/a defect!

These days, it takes 2 months and half a box of paper to print one satisfying image.

That's IT! I'm going digital! Darkroom for sale!

Oh, wait.... I have to print a few more..... be back shortly....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, I see you suffer from YOWCS (Your Own Worst Critic Syndrome). We have meetings every third Thursday and we have cookies.

When I do print I find more often than not I revisit old work and see what I want to do differently rather than to select a new neg and crack it instead.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't like cookies. I want muffins.... I'm also busy on Thursday. That's my printing day, you know....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey there

how about doing a test strip,
    to test for dry-down
    and do another and test for dry down+tone down ?
    that way you can dial down your enlarger by x-seconds ( or 1/10 seconds )
    so you won't be frustrated by those things at least ..

its kind of like the joke about the little old lady who insists her gas smells like flowers
    ( her friends disagree, and tell her to seek help )
    she goes to the dr's office and demonstrates for him, he opens the window
    and says -- first things first, we have to fix your nose ..

so fix your dry down times first, then work on the other stuff

( and don't forget to have fun ! )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doing it. Done that. Have it already.

My nose works, too.

It's SO annoying an left of nose about 1/3 of way up needs a little more exposure and cropping is 1/8" off... or when toning isn't quite warm enough or a bit too warm, and it's a result of sepia first and selenium next.... basically fully toned so there's no more room for adjustment....

I gave up on dry down stuff. I wait until FULLY dry then evaluate. I can guesstimate fairly well but dry down affects differently depending on the density of the area. Overall impression of the image cannot be guessed accurately enough.

Time for coffee! (and a muffin)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I hear ya! Burned through 100 sheets the other night to no avail.....wtf!???

....also went to work tired and more poor than before
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with John. You need to revisit your technique, maybe even get a consultation from a Master Printer for a couple hours. It might cost a chunk in the beginning, but they can point out where you're going "wrong" and maybe save you a couple hundred dollars worth of paper and a priceless amount of frustration in the future. OR you could give us a full detail post on your process or make a video and post the link here and a lot of great printers will chime in to give some advice.

If the problem isn't in technique, it might be in just the critical eye. If this is the case, I don't think you need to worry so stressfully. I can work on a print for 4 hours and not feel right about it at the end of the day. But then I show it to some of my photographer friends who say "that is gorgeous!" and I'm sitting there thinking "it's too dark on the subject, corner highlights could use a blast of #00 burining, I could have bleached the face a little more and put it in the toner for longer......etc. etc.". It kinda comes with the territory. But if you once had it, you can get it back. I've gone days in the darkroom without turning out a print I thought was "exhibition quality" just 'cause I wasn't in the right mindspace or too stressed about a relationship and the list goes on. Be persistent in finding the solution, 'cause honestly, if prints are what you really take and enjoy out of photography, digital won't fix that for ya. There's NOTHING like a darkroom print and this doesn't seem like an unsolvable problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I can't just make a print anymore....

When I RE-started this *darkroom thing* a few years ago, I could go into my darkroom for a few hours and churn out 5 prints or so and come out satisfied I did something. Those prints were *beautiful*. None of those images required any dodging and burning, either. I was GOOD!

Now few years later, I work on ONE frame for over a month. Go into D/R, print *just* one image. Process it all the way and wait few hours to dry.... hum.... NOPE. Not right! Not even close!! Go back in again and print a few with varying exposure, contrast, etc, etc, etc.... wash and dry.... meh.... Back again the next day and get something close..... Tone, wash, and dry.... arghhhhh! Too dark! Too light! Wrong color! Back to square one. 15 sheets of 11x14 later, get something close. Oh no.... a drying mark/stain/a defect!

These days, it takes 2 months and half a box of paper to print one satisfying image.

That's IT! I'm going digital! Darkroom for sale!

Oh, wait.... I have to print a few more..... be back shortly....
    I have days like that. The way i see it, ur getting better but still in transition -- be patient with yourself. Try for more subtle changes, and if you find yourself really stuck on a print after five tries, put it aside, go have a beer/coffee/walk and then come back.

Good printing is hard work -- and when printing with FB paper be sure and leave it in the developer AT LEAST two minutes -- Imogen Cunningham did it that way for better blacks and whites. It works. Also gives you more time for a little zen thing to happen so you are more patient with yurself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some days nothing works. Whatever you do. I just leave the darkroom to not get frustrated and wait for the "darkroom gods" to come back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume Zuili View Post
    Some days nothing works. Whatever you do. I just leave the darkroom to not get frustrated and wait for the "darkroom gods" to come back.

I think they deleted my address . . .

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin