Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,715   Posts: 1,483,041   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Need serious help! 4x5

So I went to use my favorite enlarger today at the darkroom. (Omega Universal 4x5)

It's got a lens turret set up with a Rodagon 135mm 5.6 and a few other lenses.

I've always used it to enlarge big prints with my 35mm and medium format negs, but when I went to go enlarge my 4x5 negs (new to 4x5 btw) there was serious vignetting making the image unable to print.

It SEEMS like the lens doesn't cover the whole 4x5 negative. (You can see of the neg in the vignetting portion.)

The manager there says he is going to look into getting a "4x5" lens, but it seems strange that that lens doesn't work.

Anyone have a clue?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have the correct condenser (or condenser position) and/or bellows / lens cone?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like a condenser issue; the 135mm Rodagon should be fine for 4x5 printing. There should be a condenser lens in a housing above the negative stage, with a door that swings up so you can reposition the condenser. This door has a diagram on the inside that shows the position of the condenser for specific focal lengths.
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Do you have the correct condenser (or condenser position) and/or bellows / lens cone?
    I'm not sure.

The condenser covers the entire 4x5 neg, but there could be some fall off. I'm not sure about the bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Sounds like a condenser issue; the 135mm Rodagon should be fine for 4x5 printing. There should be a condenser lens in a housing above the negative stage, with a door that swings up so you can reposition the condenser. This door has a diagram on the inside that shows the position of the condenser for specific focal lengths.
    Let me see if I can find a manual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's very well explained.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I pulled the condenser lenses out today and didn't see a whole lot. (Though, I didn't really know what I was looking for.)

I'll do some more digging tomorrow.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a diagram taken from the Omega D2 manual: Attachment 53491

I'm not certain this is what you have but as the diagram shows you want the condenser lens at the top of the housing for a 135mm lens. If you've been printing 35mm the condenser is probably at the bottom. Hope this helps!
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree that it's a condenser issue. If you didn't have enough bellows or a long enough lens cone, you wouldn't be able to focus. A 135mm Rodagon should be able to cover 4x5". So the condensers need to be set to cover the full 4x5" neg.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a diagram taken from the Omega D2 manual: Attachment 53491

I'm not certain this is what you have but as the diagram shows you want the condenser lens at the top of the housing for a 135mm lens. If you've been printing 35mm the condenser is probably at the bottom. Hope this helps!

Ah! I remember seeing that. (upside down bowl.) If I remember correctly, it was pretty far down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin