Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,592   Online: 943

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This might be the case, but judging from normal enlargements of well developed and exposed negatives, results are still way too soft. Dialing in full Magenta gives acceptable results.

But first things first... If the new developer doesn't make a significant difference, I will have to look for some filters for further investigations.
    Matthias

Once you get born you're never the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mcilroy View Post

But first things first... If the new developer doesn't make a significant difference, I will have to look for some filters for further investigations.
    The white light contrast is low. You have a paper/developer problem.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think your filters are shot away. Try a multigrde filter beneath the lens.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I think your filters are shot away.
    Hard to believe either Kaiser or Kienzle would make a head without dichroic filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I think your filters are shot away. Try a multigrde filter beneath the lens.
    This would seem to be the first step in analyzing the problem. Get some regular VC filters and try them. If you get similar results, your enlarger is OK and you are either not developing correctly or you are misinterpreting the results. If your prints look OK, it's misinterpretation. If you get different results, the magenta filter in your enlarger has faded, and you will need to get a replacement. Magenta filters do that, and it may not be obvious to the eye.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    the magenta filter in your enlarger has faded, and you will need to get a replacement.
    If they are dichroic filters, they can't fade.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As i said: it can't be a filter problem, because using no filtration doesn't show grade 2 as usual, but something around grade 0.5 (estimated).
    Although they shouldn't in theory, i have seen dichroic filters fade after many years of heavy use. But the filters in my enlargers are ok so far, at least they were the last time i used them before moving to the new apartment...

But i got myself some Dektol and N113 today, so i will be able to tell of it's developer fault sometime this week.
    Matthias

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It could be the light source itself. If there isn't enough blue in the source, no amount of filtering is going to give the necessary contrast.

Any chance that there is a yellow filter stuck somewhere in the light path?

What condition are the diffuses in the enlargers?

Did you buy the enlargers used, from a devotee of the work of Mortenson ?

EDIT: Oops - just noted that they had been used by you successfully before. Did you somehow become a a devotee of the work of Mortenson as a result of your recent move ?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I already changed the bulb against a new one of the recommended type. And as my second enlarger shows the same behavior, i'm more or less certain, that is isn't an enlarger problem. But who knows, i will look further if the new developer doesn't solve the problem.
    Matthias

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On the off chance... since I don't know how experienced a darkroom worker you are...

Are you developing to completion? I'm not familiar with the Moersch developer, but if you extend development by a minute, do you see a noticeable deepening of density and a tendency toward cooler image tone? If so, you are underdeveloping and that will affect contrast.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin