Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,672   Online: 966

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi,

Built my first darkroom a year and a half ago after a year using a University darkroom. I have learned that a darkroom is an evolving place. What made sense two years ago has been over ruled by what I have learned to do, what I have learned I want to do and the courses Iíve taken.

I put in 14 electrical outlets, twice the number I needed. Two are free now. I suggest ground fault so we can continue this conversation after the first spill.

Bathroom fans are noisy. I spend a lot of time in the darkroom, some times in silence, some times with music I enjoy. On another form I learned about Panasonic fans. Very quiet. A 70 cfm 7Ē fan pushes air into the room from the basement through a high quality furnace filter. On the opposite wall two 120 cfm 4Ē fans suck air from the far side (from me) of a 5í x 20Ē SS sink outside through 4Ē white PVC drain pipes. All you can hear is air moving through the pipes. The fans came mail order from South Cal. I can get part #s and source with a little looking.

I have a concrete basement floor. Half inch rubber mats feel very good after an hour or two.

We have a well and a septic tank. The local University lets me put spent fixer through their silver recovery system rather than back in my well. They help fund photography. I get to live a little longer.

Good luck. Remember that the best plans often get changed by even better ones.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    14 outlets-wow. I can't seem to fathom what all those would be for, but I'll add a couple more to be better equipped. The Panasonic fans sound good John, and the web link or phone would be awesome-thanks.

The planning is tough...am anxious to start drywalling the new wall, but best to know exactly what I'll be doing so thanks to all.

I'm even thinking a canopy or sorts (like a stove fan type) over the sink area
    now....all responses have been helpful. Thanks.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I hope I didn't mislead you with 14 outlets. I meant 14 plugs rather than 14 multiple outlet fixtures.

I bought the fans from:
    R.E. Williams Contractor Inc.
    25876 The Old Road #71
    Stevenson Ranch, CA 91381

Toll Free: 1-888-845-6597 http://www.rewci.com/

Panasonic Whisperline FV-10NLF1 Ventilation Fans
    5505.71-FV10NLF1 120 cfm This mounts in the rafters and is used as my exhaust. The intake goes through white 4Ē drain PVC to the back of the sink. The exhaust goes outside through a flapper to keep the bugs out. I started with one and added a second three months later. You donít need a riggers line to stay on the floor, but fresh air is good.

Panasonic Whisper Wallô : Wall ventilation fan 70 cfm - Free Shipping
    FV08WQ1 You have to build a frame in the wall to hold the furnace filter for this.

Besides fresh air for breathing (does there have to be another reason) as another poster mentioned this drastically cuts dust. The only way I can quantify what that means is that next week I need to present twenty two 11x14Ē B&W prints as a final for my advanced photo course. I mounted them yesterday and as I went over each one I decided that one picture needed to have one pin head size spot toned. If that isnít worth the investment then go for the breathing as justification.

What to I put in 12 outlets? Canít stress ground fault too much.

One plug in fluorescent fixture beyond the regular lights.
    Safelight - Jobo
    Hair dryer - Radio/CD player
    Air purifier (not using yet so that didnít catch the dust)
    Enlarger - Enlarger timer
    Light table - Printer dryer
    Clock - Sweep second timer

Later this month I will add UV light source and densitometer for platinum printing.
    Iím out of plugs. Obviously everything doesnít go on at once, but my plan of doubling my need 18 months ago wasnít enough.

Good luck. Be safe and enjoy. Iím 64 and having a ball.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks John for the lead on fans...sounds like the way to go. I'm sure others might appreciate that info as well.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought these ventilation links might be helpful to others:

http://www.suncourt.com/

and as a supplier of these and other items:

http://www.hvacquick.com/index.php

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin