Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,503   Online: 988

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Don

I am considering this upgrade as well for my enlarger, If you do go ahead could you post your thoughts on the differences and advantages that you notice, I would very interested in your experience
    Bob, If I decide to pursue this then I will keep you informed.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For your protection I would only purchase by COD or credit card. What They say is in stock ain't necessarily so -- Jens is a nice guy but over a year and $9K Later.....still have yet to see the goods.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Found and copied article on DIY point light source from "Darkroom" by Rudy Bender (some time back) Don't have issue, date, Etc., just the clipped article of 2 pages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Noble
    For your protection I would only purchase by COD or credit card. What They say is in stock ain't necessarily so -- Jens is a nice guy but over a year and $9K Later.....still have yet to see the goods.
    Anyone who is interested can follow the details of Mr Noble's remark, and Jensen Optical's response on this thread: http://largeformatphotography.info/l...ic/498016.html. He pops up about 3/4 of the way down. Frankly however, I do not recommend it...

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don,

this sounds interesting, but I wonder if such a powerful light source is usable for "normal" print sizes without a shutter. This has always been a problem with my CLS300 (2x1000W), besides the heat radiation during summertime. Do you rally think, the 138 Condenser Head is dim or do you consider the light characteristics as "upgrade"?

Shooter
    35mm

coated condensers

I believe that coated condensers would give you higher contrast with less flare. I believe that going to the point light source w/o condensers would still yield a print that would be very close to the coated condensers.

If the Pulam with point light sorce transformer is bought new it will be even more expensive.---see B&H. However the 1200watt unit will probably require an exhaust fan due to heat.

Coated condensers are hard to find as is the varipoint on Ebay.

I have an S45...similar to the Li38. I have both an aristo cold light head and a regular consenser setup. Mighty nice enlargers.

Going to a point light source with a particular paper grade or filter number for an aim point will require a somewhat lower film speed and reduced development.

Of course cleanliness requirement will be even more ridgid. Tiny scratches that do not show with regular condensers will show with the point light source.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two articles, 4 pages, of "Darkroom Photography" ('83 and '82) about Rudy Bender's experiences with PLS and Durst and a DIY version have been sent but were rejected, bounced etc. I asked about your intentions because it seems to me it is an "extreme" solution for "extreme" negatives. Moreover, the side effects tend to be glaring if the negative isn't rather tailored to the source.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin