Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,558   Posts: 1,545,238   Online: 884

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual, Henry Horenstein (Author)*
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Way Beyond Monochrome: http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/WBM2/Welcome.html

Ralph Lambrecht is one of the authors, and posts regularly here.

If you search through his posts, you just might find links to some pdf excerpts
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Swinnard View Post
    If you can find a copy, check David Vestal's Craft of Photography (1978), and the followup, The Art of Black and White Enlarging (1984). Both from a time when enlarging and printing were BIG things. Hard to find (?) but very much worth it. Not just mashups of older books reformatted into modern trendy colourful picture laden tomes.
    +1

Happily, they've become easier to find recently - search for author David Vestal on AbeBooks. I just did and saw multiple copies of both available inexpensively.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    All great recommendations! One I haven't seen mentioned yet and it may be my favorite for printing.. "The Elements of Black and White Printing" by Carson Graves. Excellent book on printing! My other highly recommended books would be "Way Beyond Monochrome Ed 2" of course, Les McLean's "Creative Black and White Photography," Barry Thorton's "Edge of Darkness," and George Todd's "Elements of Black and White Photography." I have a huge library and reference it quite frequently. I have all the books mentioned so far in this thread and it's great to have them for reference. Have fun starting your library!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, nice...Just ordered (5) of the mentioned books from Abebooks.com which has great prices!!! Thanks all very much.
    Last edited by DavidBrunell; 08-13-2012 at 07:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An older book but still a useful one as it explains some things not found in other books. J G Lootens, On Photographic Enlarging and Print Quality, Amphoto (New York: 1967). Amazon has used copies.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My recommendation is, "Photography" by Barbara London and John Upton. This is a book written primary to be a college textbook so the latest version is incredibly expensive. You can get older editions for close to nothing. They didn't change all that much except for digital related content.

This is a book on photography, not just printing in darkroom. It will give you a pretty good overview of the entire photography "business".

If you are just starting out, my recommendation is to start simply. Ansel's books and "Way beyond" books are great but if you don't know the basics, you may get lost in them. Conversely, if you are already familiar with the basics, "Photography" may not give you what you want.

If you are in US and think this may be the right book for you, I have an old copy that I can give it to you for free if you want to pay for shipping.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    in case you still have money left in your book budget, here is small subsection of my 200+ photography library:
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing I'll raise at this point, considering OP is starting out, perhaps one or maybe two books is enough. Start there, and instead of spending the extra $1,000 on a library at this point, use that money to take a workshop after you've got some of the basics down and some practice.

I'm saying this because I have found no matter how in-depth, voluminous and detailed my personal library might be, I recall very few books which didn't leave me with further questions when I was learning, not mention all the contradictions from one book to the next. And often it can really help more to watch someone do things and be in the room to answer questions as you go.

Even a basic book like The Print in the Time Life photography series would be a good start in that case. Reading too many technical books at the beginning can simply overcomplicate things and prevent you from doing.

Best to keep the technical stuff simple (says a guy who's wasted way too much time on technicalities). In fact if I look at my total photography library, I can honestly say I learnt at least as much, possibly more about printing from the non-technical books (monographs by Tice, Sexton, Adams etc). When it comes to the technical books, aside from Adams, and a few idiosyncratic things here and there in other books, there isn't much else required. The rest of it is largely just interesting reading.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 08-14-2012 at 08:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    this is as simple as i can make it:
    http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/W...rintingEd2.pdf
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin