Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 696

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Recommended books on enlarging/printing?

Hi all, I am new to enlarging. I am interested in making prints with my Beseler 67c...I have ordered all the materials and chemistry needed including paper and VC filters. I have my cart loaded up at Amazon with some books. I would like to hear your opinions and recommendations on the best and most comprehensive "how to" books for wet darkroom printing please.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ansel Adams's The Print. It's all you really need to get started. Other photographers then took that book, changed/personalized a few procedures to make them more convoluted, and sold their own books.

Combined with Adams, for the most up-to-date processing procedures with current materials (development, fixation, washing, toning), I would also strongly suggest looking at the technical publications/downloads from Ilford (and Kodak even though Kodak doesn't make printing papers anymore).

Ilford has a very good primer on printing with variable contrast papers/filters (this is where Adams doesn't have as much to say since at that time most serious printers still used graded papers).

This is the best way to get started and will take you VERY far with practice and work. Once you are more experienced, there are then some other techniques you can add (like split/multiple contrast printing and masking). But I would not recommend looking at any of that at this point. Even if you eventually want to learn those techniques, you'll find you don't need entire additional printing books as they are most often incomplete when it comes to advanced techniques anyway. Specific articles, publications, and workshops are far better for things like that.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Find a copy of Larry Barrtlet's Black and White Photography Printing Workshop, also Les Mclean's Creative Black and White Photography
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can find a copy, check David Vestal's Craft of Photography (1978), and the followup, The Art of Black and White Enlarging (1984). Both from a time when enlarging and printing were BIG things. Hard to find (?) but very much worth it. Not just mashups of older books reformatted into modern trendy colourful picture laden tomes.

(just my 2 cents worth...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the fast replies. I have Adams' series and have read it a few times. Really helped me with choosing the correct materials...I am going to investigate those two ANN.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can also recommend Barry Thorntons Books, though they are hard to get now. They are called "Elements" and "Edge of Darkness". The latter may be going a little bit too much into depth for a beginner, but every page is worth reading and his writing style is very enjoyable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tim Rudman's Master Printing Course is excellent, very practical and comprehensive.

Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Eddie Ephrams Creative Elements is a great book which combines both the taking of great photographs and all the darkroom elements you will ever need, great photographs with full taking details and the details of how he got to the final print in the first section, and every darkroom secret you will ever use in the second section.
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ctein's book Post Exposure is now available as a free pdf download from his website at http://ctein.com/booksmpl.htm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photographic Printing, by Ralph Hattersley, is a good place to start. As suggested before, Ansel Adams, but get all three books, The Camera, TheNegative, and The Print to get a thorough understanding of what it takes to get to a good print.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin