Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,347   Online: 779

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a sharpie or a pencil on RC and a pencil on fiber. A pencil doesn't always write well on RC, but I use one if I think I'll be keeping the print. I have my own code for filter #, f stop, and time + any dodging or burning so I have a chance at repeating it. I used to write them separately in a notebook, but had trouble matching up the print to the instructions.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for the excellent feedback - I ended up trying both sharpie and pencil, both worked without issue. Sharpie (the small, thin kind) in brown seemed to be best in that I could see what I wrote as I wrote it in the darkroom. Pencil worked as well, but I couldn't see what I was writing and the sharpie allows me to write accurately for some reason.

Funny end to this thank you note: after I carefully marked all of the paper and developed it, the pictures all came out exactly the same because I'd forgotten to turn put my filters in the light path. So, all that note taking could have been condensed into "this print is massively overexposed, bullocks."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When writing on the back of prints, especially with pencil or ball point pen, place the print on a hard surface so the writing isn't imbossed on the front.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    When writing on the back of prints, especially with pencil or ball point pen, place the print on a hard surface so the writing isn't imbossed on the front.
    And that is why a china marker, a crayon or a sharpie works so well.
    Last edited by paul ron; 09-07-2012 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I like a soft lead pencil 4B or so and I always write on the back and use a hard surface like metal or formica or the the pencil can emboss to the front of the print. And I scribble on a scrap of paper to prepare the lead for writing on the RC surface, not a problem on fiber paper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin