Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,148   Online: 959

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How to label/mark my prints?

Hi All,

I've been experimenting with a 35mm negative, printing on ilford VC paper, 8x10 on a V35 enlarger to get a feel for the image before printing larger.

My newbie question is: how can I mark my prints with some exposure and setting data prior to development? I print 6 at a time sometimes in a jobo, and being able to isolate an images settings would be great. Red marker? Just something subtle on the bottom or something would be great!
    Many thanks, AD

Shooter
    35mm
    Possibly answering my own question, but my local shop told me: sharpie marker on a discrete corner for VC papers, number 2 pencil on FB papers will work like a champ. No bleed!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Soft pencil on the back of the print.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep a printing journal with all detalis, paper, exposure, development, D&B etc., and each print gets a number (like: 12-123, saying that it was print #123 made year 2012) on the back with an ordinary (soft OK) pencil for FB, and some kind of ordinary marker on RC paper. For test strips/prints I just write all the nec. details on the back.
    /Bertil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Crayon on the back of the print.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use soft pencil like 4B and I write on back, outside the image area. You CAN write on front with sharpie if you want. I have seen processing chemicals and washing process dissolves some of the sharpie ink. Pencil works for me very well.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 2B pencil, blunted on the back.
    A Sharpie is too much like attacking your print with graffiti.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second the 2B pencil, not really pointed, on the back. The information survives in the chemicals and the final wash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always use a red or black wax pencil.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For trial prints I'm making in batches, I use my fingernail to make a notch in the very edge of the print.

A notch in one corner, two corners on in the center of an edge is enough to differentiate pieces of paper for me, even in the dark.
    I keep notes on a sheet of paper and reference them to the notches I make. When they are developed, I can look back on my notes and see which is which.

At the end, when I find the exposure/development combination I like I copy my notes to the back of the print using a pencil.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin