Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,400   Online: 772

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using the Analyser Pro for about 4 months now. I really, really like it. A lot. I have D2V Omega enlarger (condenser) It turns off the safelight when printing and when reading values. I can make most prints in two shots - the first to determine what needs to be dodged/burned and the second to do it. If you are into split-grade printing it seems to work very well, though I don't do a lot of that. There is a burn-in timing feature as well, which makes burning in easy. The footpedal helps a lot too since it lets you get all of the dodging tools ready to go before you turn on the light.

You do have to calibrate it to your enlarger and your paper, though I have yet to do so and haven't had any issues as yet. It comes pre-set for Ilford Multigrade and I think a few others.

Does it produce prints any better than my old WWII military timer? No, but I use a lot less paper to get to the print that I want. And I like being able to do densitometer readings with it as well since I lack a densitomer.

If you do a lot of printing it will probably pay for itself in paper in about a year or so.

It has a lot of features, which I've barely begun to explore. And I'm not an expert by any means on enlarging timers and analyzers, but it has certainly worked well for me.

Good luck,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    Timothy - i think we're getting a little confused with terminology. The RH designs Analyser Pro is an Fstop timer with an integral meter. What I imagine you have is a Zonemaster (meter) and the Stopclock Vario (timer) - does that make sense?

either way, you are right - I dont use a cold light source. But you make an excellent point there Timothy ... not only would the calibrations be out from one enlarger to the next, the whole zonemaster unit would be completely redundant with a cold light head - of which there could possibly be one in the public darkroom melisa uses ... it's all so complicated! Possibly another good reason to wait 'till you have your own darkroom melissa.

If you are looking for a xmas gift ... why not try the RHDesigns paperflasher for now?? I go one of these recently and it is excellent for getting detail from highlight areas of negatives I never thought detail would exist. And you could quite easliy take this to the college darkroom with you.

I dont work for RH designs, honest!
    we have omega condenser enlargers at the school and the enlarger i have at home is the same enlarger, only it can print color, too. Neither of them are cold light enlargers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Being as it was my mention of the ZoneMaster II in another thread that prompted your interest, Melisa, I waited until others had responded to add my 2¢. Leon was actually the person who turned me on the the RH Designs products. (Thanks again, Leon.)

As others have mentioned, they have different products for different enlarger types - some with timers, others without. Because I was in the midst of considering a new enlarger when I bought the unit, but wasn't sure which direction I wanted to go with the enlarger, I chose the (timer-less) ZoneMaster II meter. I bought on their site with a credit card, and the unit was promptly shipped. It arrived via USPS Air in about 4 days, as I recall, and there was no additional duty applied to mine at that time. (I wouldn't assume that to be the case in all situations or locations, however.) I just use mine with my existing timer, and manage the safelights manually.

The ZoneMaster II is a small, battery-operated unit requiring no connection to the enlarger, so it would probably be convenient for you going to an outside lab. Even if you don't go through the full calibration procedure with each of the enlargers you use there, you may be able to arrive at an "adjustment factor" for the enlarger that would still make the meter useful. For example, the meter might suggest an exposure time of 10.5 seconds, but your first test print/strip indicates 12.5 seconds is better. On subsequent negs, you could simply add the 2 seconds, and "come close" on the first test.

Reading the material on the RH Designs site will help you decide which unit best fits your needs. The site includes a couple of tutorial articles written by users which may help in understanding the calibration procedures, as well. Note, too, that the ZoneMaster II also has a densitometer mode. So, if you're working on fine-tuning your exposure/development to specific densities, this may come in handy.

After doing (lots of) test strips for 30 years, I'm really "tickled" with my ZMII. I still do test prints to arrive at a dodging/burning plan, but coming close with the first one is a big help.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Being as it was my mention of the ZoneMaster II in another thread that prompted your interest, Melisa, I waited until others had responded to add my 2¢. Leon was actually the person who turned me on the the RH Designs products. (Thanks again, Leon.)

As others have mentioned, they have different products for different enlarger types - some with timers, others without. Because I was in the midst of considering a new enlarger when I bought the unit, but wasn't sure which direction I wanted to go with the enlarger, I chose the (timer-less) ZoneMaster II meter. I bought on their site with a credit card, and the unit was promptly shipped. It arrived via USPS Air in about 4 days, as I recall, and there was no additional duty applied to mine at that time. (I wouldn't assume that to be the case in all situations or locations, however.) I just use mine with my existing timer, and manage the safelights manually.

The ZoneMaster II is a small, battery-operated unit requiring no connection to the enlarger, so it would probably be convenient for you going to an outside lab. Even if you don't go through the full calibration procedure with each of the enlargers you use there, you may be able to arrive at an "adjustment factor" for the enlarger that would still make the meter useful. For example, the meter might suggest an exposure time of 10.5 seconds, but your first test print/strip indicates 12.5 seconds is better. On subsequent negs, you could simply add the 2 seconds, and "come close" on the first test.

Reading the material on the RH Designs site will help you decide which unit best fits your needs. The site includes a couple of tutorial articles written by users which may help in understanding the calibration procedures, as well. Note, too, that the ZoneMaster II also has a densitometer mode. So, if you're working on fine-tuning your exposure/development to specific densities, this may come in handy.

After doing (lots of) test strips for 30 years, I'm really "tickled" with my ZMII. I still do test prints to arrive at a dodging/burning plan, but coming close with the first one is a big help.
    Ralph. Thanks for your input on this. I see you mentioned safelights being turned off. Is that something you have to do often? I will definitely have to make sure I get the small (2 person) advanced darkroom just to be sure.
    I went ahead and told my sweetie it was what I wanted so, I'm crossing my fingers. It's either that or a slew of comedic dvd sets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Safelights - yes, they must be turned off when you are metering. Otherwise the readings will be way off. I've forgotten a couple of times, and kicked myself when the print exposure was crazy.

Here's hoping your "Santa" gets the list in time, way up there at the North Pole, and all.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Safelights - yes, they must be turned off when you are metering. Otherwise the readings will be way off. I've forgotten a couple of times, and kicked myself when the print exposure was crazy.

Here's hoping your "Santa" gets the list in time, way up there at the North Pole, and all.
    yeah, and me down here in Florida. He's got a heck of a trip...first he has to go to the UK, then Florida.

safelight shouldn't be a problem...I will make sure I get to the darkroom early and use the advanced room.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like Santa is going to grant my Christmas wish!

We aren't going for the suprise element or anything. LOL

Well, except for stocking stuffers!

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    lucky you!

lee\c

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi there. I have used an RHDesign Zonemaster for what seems like 3 or 4 years now.It got wet the other week and they offer a standard price repair option which seems to me to be above and beyond the call of duty as I now have it back as good as new.
    They seem to be a really good company to have dealings with.
    It is a great device and worth whatever it costs, because it saves you paper and time by the dishload.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Melisa Taylor
    It looks like Santa is going to grant my Christmas wish!

We aren't going for the suprise element or anything. LOL

Well, except for stocking stuffers!
    Well, we shipped it on the 21st so I hope the Post Office obliged with a before Christmas delivery!

Just a couple of comments - firstly you *must* turn the safelights off when making measurements otherwise the readings will be inaccurate. Second - cold lights. The issue here is stability - if the light level varies between taking a measurement and making the exposure, or between measurements, then the results will be inaccurate. A compensating timer won't necessarily help because the compensation won't be working in "focus" mode (i.e. when you're taking readings). However, if you make sure your cold light is well warmed up (leave it on for half an hour or so before starting work) and is left switched on as much as possible, stability problems will be minimised. Bear in mind that light level changes will affect your results when using test strips as well, not just when using an exposure meter!

Best wishes
    Richard Ross, RH Designs

PS - I've recently completely overhauled our web site, www.rhdesigns.co.uk -take a look if you haven't visited recently.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin