Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,933   Posts: 1,557,016   Online: 1176

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I must say, having not experimented much with flashing, I wasn't aware that it recovered so much detail as in the example. Even after reading John Blakemore's book a few times, I was led to believe flashing only really added tone to blown highlights.

EDIT: Just had a go with a recent negative with difficult highlights.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CrROuruKsL...0/flashing.jpg
    Last edited by batwister; 09-26-2012 at 05:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hot damn, this is exactly what I needed right now. I have a negative driving me crazy!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I must say, having not experimented much with flashing, I wasn't aware that it recovered so much detail as in the example. Even after reading John Blakemore's book a few times, I was led to believe flashing only really added tone to blown highlights.

I agree. Most articles seem to concentrate on adding tone to blown highlights. Even Les McLean, well known to many on APUG does this in his book but in fact he also has a great article on his website which reveals just what is possible in terms of recovering detail.

I think this aspect of flashing is much under-rated

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great pointer this link. Look forward to revisiting some negs over the weekend. Also makes me look at some of Robert Adams' delicate prints in a new light.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post

Well, that certainly made a difference! Remember that you can cut a hole in a large card and just flash the area with the light tones in the same way you'd use it to burn in an area. That way the tones in the rest of the scene will be unchanged.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Bruce, this is what I attempted. It's still a difficult image, with the highlights between branches looking obviously blown - despite now having tone. The negative received N-1 dev. but I went a little overboard with exposure due to the majority of the scene being in shade. Rarely make images in that kind of situation actually, so I knew what I was getting into before pressing the shutter! N-2 would have made sense, but with flashing it's certainly printable.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    A well written article explaining an oft overlooked technique.

One point that I would like to make is that there is no need to remove the negative - it just makes everything more laborious.

The simple trick is to get a piece of of semi opaque perspex and hold it under the lens to make your flashing exposure.

This has the following advantages:

You can compose and focus your image as normal and do a test strip. If you then determine that you need to use pre-flashing to render the highlights, you can leave everything set up and just do a test strip for the correct pre-flashing time with the perspex under the lens. No need to remove the negative/alter enlarger position/change aperture.

It also means that your pre-flashing time will be longer so you can do it more accurately.

Hope this is of help and enjoy your printing.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice for relative new darkroomlizards like me...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok going to sound stupid but what the difference between preflashing then exposing to just exposing for a longer time? Especially considering the above post which says you can do preflashing with negative in place.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Ok going to sound stupid but what the difference between preflashing then exposing to just exposing for a longer time? Especially considering the above post which says you can do preflashing with negative in place.
    In the recent post David Allen suggested using a white piece of plastic between the lens and paper. This makes it an overall exposure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin