Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,944   Posts: 1,557,724   Online: 1217

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Good darkroom work revealed

Here's an interesting post by Turkish photographer, Omar Ozenir, explaining the flashing technique of controlling highlighs in a print.

A Coffeehouse in Cunda

Omar was a visitor to my blog and I followed him back to his own website, so to speak. His features posts explaining different darkroom techniques with some great illustrative pics but is in his native language.

I asked him if he could translate some posts into Englsh and I've just published the first of what I hope will become a monthly series. If you like printing under the enlarger or want to learm, it's well worth a look.

My blog, btw, is completely non-commercial. I started it to try to do my bit to spread the word about film and darkroom work. If you like it, please tell your mates. If you don't then keep it to yourself.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's very useful and nicely explained!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Bruce, thanks for getting Omar to render his article in English, it was excellent.

Was that his English, or did someone else do the translation? If his English is that good, I'd like to encourage him to do a version of his website in English as well. I'd love to read the technical comments on his prints.

This was my first visit to your own website/blog, and it is excellent as well. Your photos are inspiring, and fall in line with what I strive for in my own work.

Thanks again and keep it up --

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brilliant. I didn't quite 'get' the technique before, and now I do. What more can you say?
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Always great to have a clear illustrated article about darkroom technique! Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very cool! Thanks for posting that.

You may find that my Open Source Paper Flasher comes in handy.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having just developed four rolls at box speed and finding they were three stops out, I'll have to try this out in order to get some detail from the horribly dense negatives!

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thanks to everyone

I'm very pleased to say that this exercise has been a great success. The reaction we've had from everyone has been overwhelmingly positive so I'm sure we'll be repeating it again. The plan seems to be for monthly posts of Omar's darkroom work and I'll post a message here when the next one is ready to go. In the meantime, there will be plenty of others posts about film and darkroom stuff so please feel encouraged to pop by The Online Darkroom on a regular basis. And thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting this resource.

What I've found very handy, perhaps not your intention, but in the Reading Negatives page I am able to click on your Properly Exposed/Properly Developed negative and it appears by itself on the screen with enough white screen to lay my 4X5 negative of question adjacent to it and visually compare. Then confirm my suspicions with the Over/Under references.

I like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks so much for sharing this, b&w is loved the world over,
    and we are the benefactors...

-Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin