Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,681   Online: 1135

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Rescuing negatives

Hey folks! I hope to get some quick advice.
    I have a lot of pictures, all low key shots, where i either underexposed or underdeveloped, either way, i have a film with a crystal clear background, and the highs/mids aren't dense enough, so what i get is either good high/mids and a background that is not near black enough, or way too dark high/mids and a good black background.
    I tried with ilford mg filters 1, 4 and 5, and ilfospeed filter 7, and i get only slightly closer to what i want.
    Is there a way to make it work? What about toning the negs, will they get denser?

Cheers
    nic
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Have a search for threads on negative intensification. It sounds as if this might be the only way to help solve your problem

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The easiest way to increase the density is to use selenium toner. Most intensifiers are not archival but selenium is.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another way is to bleach and redevelop with a staining developer several times to build density and contrast. A thread search should find you sufficient details to make a decision on it.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never tried it but how about this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...for_Black.html
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're not dogmatic about APUG, scanning can do wonderful things with thin negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So your background is SUPPOSED TO BE totally black? (clear on neg)?? Are you saying there isn't enough separation between your subject and the background?

Sounds more like you need to print the mid-high correctly and burn in the background....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies!
    The background IS totally clear on neg, the mid/highs are too clear though (not dense enough)

jp498: Sure, but how will i get that back to my ilford paper?

I have some TT blue toner and TT sulphide toner, will these do? I'm not worried about prolonged archival ability.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    Thanks for the replies!
    The background IS totally clear on neg, the mid/highs are too clear though (not dense enough)

jp498: Sure, but how will i get that back to my ilford paper?

I have some TT blue toner and TT sulphide toner, will these do? I'm not worried about prolonged archival ability.
    It sounds like your film is under-exposed, and possibly also underdeveloped. Under-exposure is the most likely. It is not uncommon for people with cameras to attempt to make a low key image of a normal subject by reducing exposure, it rarely works.

Selenium toning is not the only way to increase contrast in a negative. Sepia toning will increase highlight density 2-3 times as much.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin