Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,395   Online: 879

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you're not careful, you could easily move that easel out of place.
    I am totally ham fisted and even I don't move the easel out of place.

Can't you just try being careful.
    If not you can find 11x14 Saunders 4 blade easels for $30-40, I recently sold a ugly but fully functional one for about $6. These are good easels, They have weight and a rubber bottom so they are not easy to move.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Put rubber feet on the bottom of the easel. Different rubber has different holding capacity. I just re-replaced the rubber feet on my 20x24 easel. The rubber feet I initially choose were too sticky. I could not move the easel at all to compose. I replaced the rubber pads with felt pads.

Shooter
    35mm
    A simple and cheap alternative to rubber-feet, and which you might already have around somewhere, is just a couple of strips (or squares, if only small areas are used as supports under the easel) of flat self-adhesive foam draft-excluder. That would be fairly grippy on the enlarger baseboard. [EDIT: even cheaper and more easy to find. get some masking tape and fix the easel base to the enlarger with that. A couple of inches on each of two sides would do the job.]

Just to state the obvious, don't forget that you lift the easel frame to slide at least two of the paper edges underneath. The paper will not stay so flat, or so still, if you just lay it on top of the easel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if the OP is using one of the Ganz SpeedEzl eseals?
    They are quite light and easy to move and I don't think they have anti-slip on the bottom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rubber pads and feet wear and get dirty and, as a result, get slippery.

Try cleaning the bottom of the easel.

A good easel is a joy to use, and well worth paying for.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Yes, Tk, I see that. What brand are those and where do I get them? New or used? How much should I pay for them? I hope they also come in larger sizes. I also print 11x14, etc. Thanks.

You can find them at most large photo stores, like B&H and Adorama.

http://www.adorama.com/DKE41.html

I have this one and it works well. I have NEVER seen these for 11x14. If you are short on cash, you could buy what is called a "quick easel" for 11x14.

http://www.adorama.com/PE1114AE.html These are also option for economy minded darkroom owners. You can get them cheap used or buy one new. I had one SIMILAR to this one. I tended to have problem placing paper square to the corner, so I eventually gave mine away. I bought 4 blade variety. They are much more expensive but to me, it's worth the cost.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is also Speed Ez El which is made in most sizes up to 11x14. I find them very convenient and have a large set of them. They are particulary handy if one is making multiple prints.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    does your enlargwr have a red filter? for easel alignment, i use two strips of masking tape. once i'm done withe focusing paper , i tape one down on the table along the horizontal edge of the easel, the other along the vertical edge. after placing the exposure paper i can use them to check if the easel has moved at all,and if needed ,put it back into alignment.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    I wonder if the OP is using one of the Ganz SpeedEzl eseals?
    They are quite light and easy to move and I don't think they have anti-slip on the bottom.
    mw, ours are very, very light and no anti-slip at the bottom. I just looked up what you were referring to, and it appears those are the ones we're using. They're yellow and so very light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mw, ours are very, very light and no anti-slip at the bottom. I just looked up what you were referring to, and it appears those are the ones we're using. They're yellow and so very light.
    That explains it then.
    You could try some of the suggestions already made and/or add some anti-slip material to the bottom.
    In the long run you should look for a quality 4 blade easel such as a Saunders.
    As I already pointed out these can be found quite cheaply in 11x14 size and are well made, heavy and do not move around the baseboard without a lot of effort assuming the rubber on the bottom is intact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin