Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,012   Online: 717

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    That explains it then.
    You could try some of the suggestions already made and/or add some anti-slip material to the bottom.
    In the long run you should look for a quality 4 blade easel such as a Saunders.
    As I already pointed out these can be found quite cheaply in 11x14 size and are well made, heavy and do not move around the baseboard without a lot of effort assuming the rubber on the bottom is intact.
    We'll do.

Now, why are these so freaking expensive?!!!

Some of these 11x14 easels I've found on eBay for about $40 or so. Are the adjustable kind, easels that can be adjusted up to an 11x14 size or what is it meant by "adjustable"?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    We'll do.

Now, why are these so freaking expensive?!!!

Some of these 11x14 easels I've found on eBay for about $40 or so. Are the adjustable kind, easels that can be adjusted up to an 11x14 size or what is it meant by "adjustable"?

Thanks.
    Those really large Saunders easels are expensive because they are worth it, and relatively rare.

The 11 x 14 Saunders easels are actually 14 x 17 on the outside, but you can only used the moveable blades on paper up to 11 x 14. Those easels are also very good, but as they are/were very popular, there is a fair supply of used ones available.

Easels come essentially in two versions - adjustable easels which have blades that move to allow adjustment for different sizes of paper or custom crops/borders, and fixed size easels which can only be used for one size of paper, with one size of borders.

Within the adjustable easels there are two sub-types - two blade easels which allow adjustment on two sides only (except for minor adjustments of border widths) and four blade easels that allow adjustments on all four borders.

The four blade easels are preferred by many, but two blade easels have some things going for them, including lower cost, and slightly more flexibility when using unusual paper sizes.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    mw, ours are very, very light and no anti-slip at the bottom. I just looked up what you were referring to, and it appears those are the ones we're using. They're yellow and so very light.
    I used to use the yellow SpeedEzels all the time. Use drafting tape, or even masking tape. A small piece on each end and the easel will stay put. This is not rocket science.

And yes, good 4 bladed easels can be more expensive than enlargers, especially the big ones. Adjustable means just that - you can adjust the size of the image. (unlike the SpeedEzels)

BTW, when bought new, the Ganz easels had little foam or rubber feet that could be stuck on the bottom. They never worked well, and eventually fell off ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails easeltape.jpg  
    Last edited by David Brown; 10-01-2012 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added picture (worth 1000 words)

Shooter
    Medium Format

yup

Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    I wonder if the OP is using one of the Ganz SpeedEzl eseals?
    They are quite light and easy to move and I don't think they have anti-slip on the bottom.
    these startout with small flimsy "foam feet" - they don't last long, and yes the easel is very light... a trip to the hardware store for something to replace them is called for.

ogara

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one of those multisize easels also and the rubber feet dry out over time and don't have much grip. What I found that works well is a roll of this drawer lining material that is sort of a spongey rubber mesh like material; cheap, grips well an I used some of it to replace disintegrating foam in my contact print easel as well. I think it was about 5 bucks for a roll at dare I say Walmart in the kitchen dept shelf lining area. BTW... This stuff is non adhesive backed so just roll up when done. Has just the right amount of slip vs grip on a formica covered enlarger base to adjust easily but doesn't bump out of place when lifting easel lid.
    Last edited by declark; 11-02-2012 at 05:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The OP talks about his school so presumably others there use the same equipment. I wonder if he is asking on behalf of the other users or do they not have the same issue?

If the equipment is that bad then the school needs to change things. The school sounds like one that teaches you to ride a bicycle by supplying the bikes but not the saddles

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    If the equipment is that bad then the school needs to change things.

pentaxuser
    Things are rough around here. Schools have no money. I've since switched to the adjustable easels. Those don't move.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's puuuuurty.

That's one bad mother. How much does that cost?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin