Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,762   Online: 1254

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Remember that selenium toning affects the silver that is present in the neg. Where you have empty shadows (ie. clear film-base) there is no silver and therefore no increase in density from the selenium. The overall contrast is increased, as the difference between "no silver" and "silver plus selenium" is larger, but nothing is going to magically recover detail that you didn't place on the negative.

You could always try making a copy negative and reversing it, or make a copy of the copy. The quickest thing to try would indeed be using a harder developer, as many have pointed out.

Edit: I have just recalled that, during a 25 sheet try out, I seemed to get a slightly higher contrast result from the Adox MCC remake of the Agfa papers, than from Ilford. Perhaps that would be an option?
    Last edited by MartinP; 10-02-2012 at 04:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I didn't think of using a different developer. I currently have Dektol only. I understand increase in hydroquinone adds to contrast. I wonder if this is possible? I don't know enough photo chemistry but I know Dektol had hydroquinone as a component already. I happen to have a small jar of it thinking I'd start mixing my own.
    what dilution do you use your dektol ?
    if you are using it 1:2 or 1:3 you might increase it to 1:1
    or even a higher concentration of developer ...

you might also look into split filtration printing if you aren't already doing that
    it might also help you get the contrast you want ...
    there is an article on les mclean's website
    right ... here: http://www.lesmcleanphotography.com/...ull&article=21

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    If you think that selenium toner will not produce enough intensification you can try using a chromium intensifier on the negative. I would suggest that you read up on this process before you try it. If the negative has been improperly fixed or washed there could be problems.
    A better and safer way to boost the negative contrast is to tone in selenium diluted 1+4 from stock. About 5 minutes should do it.
    Also bleaching and then redeveloping, particularly in any pyrogallol developer, works very well.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't plan to read all the foregoing bits of advice, so forgive me if I repeat something already mentioned. Some VC papers will not reach DMax given only high-contrast exposure using magenta or
    blue light. You might need to supplement this with at least a token amount of white light, but keep it
    brief unless you add an ND filter. You can only develop so long - maybe four minutes of so in a silver
    rich paper, until it hits the max; after that you only increase fog. And it does help to use premium
    papers. But even that can be boosted by a combination of selenium and gold toning (rinse between
    these steps, though the order is unimportant). Some papers are way better in this respect than others, and image tone differences are an inevitable and possibly desirable by-product. There are more advanced ways to do it to: contrast-increase masking, neg intensification or duplication, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i think, you are best of with the bleaching suggestion.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm really bad at bleaching..... So far, every time I tried, I ended up basically destroying my print.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was using matte surface paper which tends to look lower in contrast. I'm going to use glossy and use more concentrated dilution of Dektol to start. I'll report back when I have some results. Thanks everybody.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the above plus you could give a try with Dokumol. Very strong dev.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A contrast increase mask is very powerful.

Shooter
    35mm
    some enlargers using dichroic filters won't go all the way to a real grade 5. Others will. If using dichroic filters I'd suggest trying and Ilford G5 filter. It may well give higher contrast.
    Also use new paper and definitely not old stock.
    Also get some benzotriazole and mix up a 1% solution. Add 5ml of 1% solution to one litre of working strength developer. This will give contrast a bit of a kick. Add more if necessary.
    Also warming up developer will give a little boost to print contrast.
    Also under exposing and over developing can sometimes give a boost in contrast, especially on graded papers.
    do all the above and you should get a decent rise in contrast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin