Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,686   Posts: 1,548,610   Online: 1322

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

problems with dunco enlarger

recently manage to get hold of a dunco enlarger. I believe it is the color head, it has 2 knob on the left adjusting exposure and on/off filter and 3 knobs at the right adjusting cyan magenta and yellow.

everything seems to be in order, but when I am doing some test strip, I doesnt seems to be getting any contrast when I am printing on multi grade paper. I have tried various method,
    - adjust magenta and yellow on the enlarger
    - switching everything off on the enlarger and use the ilford multi grade filter method
    but all my prints turn out the same with no contrast.

I couldnt figure out what could have gone wrong. will need to consult all the expert here. I am hoping that it is just some minor stuff that I miss out or did wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    A colour enlarger will also have a 'white light lever' which you can move so that the image is brighter to aid focussing, It will be on the side of the head. Find this lever and move it to the opposite end of the arc to where it is now and check the brightness on the base board. If it darkens then that is your problem.

I use an LPL enlarger which is not all that different and found when I got it there had been little use for a very long time and the colour filters in the head were sticking this may be what is happening with yours, however I would go for the white light lever first and see if that works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is your print developer fresh? What developer are you using? What paper are you using?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    A colour enlarger will also have a 'white light lever' which you can move so that the image is brighter to aid focussing, It will be on the side of the head. Find this lever and move it to the opposite end of the arc to where it is now and check the brightness on the base board. If it darkens then that is your problem.

I use an LPL enlarger which is not all that different and found when I got it there had been little use for a very long time and the colour filters in the head were sticking this may be what is happening with yours, however I would go for the white light lever first and see if that works.
    Ya, I know what you mean when you say the 'white light lever' as I am use to kaiser VPM6005 enlarger which has that lever.
    I would reckon the knob that on/off the filter to work the same. and it kindof does. and I am quite sure that i keep tha filter on the ON side.

I also tried ignoring the color filters all together and use the more older way of holding the multigrade filter under the lens which doesnt work out as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Is your print developer fresh? What developer are you using? What paper are you using?
    I am using ilford multigrade paper developer with ilford ifostop for stop bath and ilford rapid fixer for fixing. Printing on ilford multigrade RC paper.
    All Ilford products as those are the ones that is most easily access to from where I am. And there are all bought fresh.
    I have also test out the papers on another darkroom that I have access to just to confirm that the pack of papers are not foggy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How long are you developing? 2 minutes minimum, yes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    How long are you developing? 2 minutes minimum, yes?
    yaa, i develop it for 2 mins, I have tried 1 min as well as I am mixing 1+9 for the developer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    heres a picture of my setup if it helps identify some obvious problems

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8078900984_d510fe087d_c.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	58357

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have a Dunco enlarger, although with the combined Multigrade/color filter module. But it's difficult to say what the problem is since you are saying that you have problems both when using the built in color filters and the Ilford Multigrade filters.

Are you sure that the filters lift in and out of the light path as they should? You can check this by taking the top cover off. The filter module can also easily be taken out the head, that might make it easier to identify problems.

What kind of Multigrade filters have you tried? Are they old?

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Trond

what do you mean when you say
    Are you sure that the filters lift in and out of the light path as they should?

is yours the same model as the one I have?

i have tried using both ilford multigrade filter which is not too old and kodak multigrade filter which is very old. both doesnt gives me good result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin