Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,460   Online: 1056

Shooter
    35mm RF

How about Durst M670 color head? GOOD or BAD?

I want to know from people who experience with this enlarger durst M670.

Is it good?

i heard many people from photo.net said something like it lose focus....

something like taht or plastic equipment....

iS it that bad?

thank krub

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experience in a college environment where the equipment is heavily used(and abused?) is that the rack for altering the height of the head on the 670 tends to wear as it appears to be made of plastic. This causes the head to slip and not to hold its focus. The general standard of construction seems to be less substantial than the earlier Durst models. The 605 for instance is much more robust and has a metal rack. Another well commented upon make is the Meopta Magnifax. If you are buying used it is as well to check the wear on the elevating column on any enlarger as well as the alignment of the head by using a spirit level. Hope this helps John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mmm just checked my 605 and it has a plastic rack.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 670 VC - variable contrast head. But it makes no difference to your question I believe. I have no problems with creeping column or focus... but I did get it brand new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used 670's in college darkrooms and never had any problems. I guess it's the same as everything else and just depends on how it's been abused in the past. Give it a good look over and play with the adjustments before you buy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello supree,

I bought mine secondhand. When enlarging I tend to keep the winder in the verticle position, ie handle to the top or bottom, in between I find it can tend to creep. This doesn't really bother me at all. I also find I have to be very gentle when switching filters on my condensor head.

Maybe give Lex a shout (the perpendicularity consultant one, you can find him on the B&W forums at photonet). I'm not sure but I think he may have had this problem with his M605. There may be a way to tighten it up.

It's a pretty good enlarger overall though. Oh the thing that does bug me is my 35mm mask is slightly smaller than a 35mm neg, must get round to filling it out a bit some day.

Try and get the VC or the condensor head if you can rather than the colour head.

All the best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by supree_l
    I want to know from people who experience with this enlarger durst M670.

Is it good?

i heard many people from photo.net said something like it lose focus....

something like taht or plastic equipment....
    I've had 2 Durst M601's and a later M670 the column mechanism's are essentially the same on most of these Dursts.

Yes they do begin to start to slip with very heavy use, but it's not the racking - there are two friction pads in the height control assembly once these wear the counter spring slowly creeps the head up the column.

All you have to do is take the cover plate off, 4 screws, then tighten these pads so they pinch properly, making sure by trying the height adjustment that you haven't over tightened.

I'd add it's worth cleaning the metal bits first as its probable that its a litle surface corrosion has accelerated the wear to the pads.

It's extremely simple and once done is as good as new.

I should add that in 30 years I've only had to do this once, and checking in my darkroom to write this I noticed I'm actually still using a 30yr old column with a much newer enlarger head.

Hope that helps, the M670 is a superb enlarger, my earlier Dursts had many years of continuous commercial use, with no problems.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Cheers Ian,

I think this is what I saw Lex post some time ago.
    Must make a point of getting round to this.
    Anyway this time I'll save the post so I'll remember what to do.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Oh yeah Supree if you see one with a Durst Neonon f2.8 lens then that's a bonus. The neonon's can often be found in the bargin bin at some secondhand dealers, they are a steal, pretty much as good as any big name enlarger lens you care to metion.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin