Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,551   Posts: 1,544,889   Online: 932

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodging tools

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Johnson View Post
    The wire itself will never create a shadow...
    If you keep it moving!

... and yes, quite easy to make and and adjust to any size or shape required. Although I have to admit, even I am tempted by Reinhold's excellent looking tools.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Johnson View Post
    No reason to buy dodging tools...
    Don't know about that. Reinhold's set of generic dodging tools looks pretty nice to me. Higher quality than any I might make.

I have a set on my Xmas wish list. Don't know what Santa has in mind, though...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    That Clyde Butcher video (first one posted) is fantastic. Thanks for posting David!
    I had the pleasure of touring Clyde's darkroom last year. The scale of the operation is, of course, larger than any of us would aspire to, but what impressed me, (beyond the open-armed welcome I received from Clyde's wonderul family and staff) was how thoughtfully laid out the whole studio was. Anyone who came to work in my darkroom would have quite a time locating tools and materials. Clyde's darkroom is designed so that the printer can quickly get to work and make prints. It was quite a lesson for me.

As with others here, I use only a few tools, but twist and turn and angle and dangle and raise and lower and shimmy and shake them into position so I don't have to switch tools in a single exposure.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still have and use a custom-made (by me) dodging tool that I first used in the 1970s to dodge the head and shoulders of a person in a print.

It consists of a cut out portion of a print - the head and shoulders of one of my high school teachers .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, ok ... that IS better. I was missing the whole twisting the tool bit, as well as moving it closer and further to the lens. Much more control than just a cutout that matches the shape.

Thanks particularly for those clips David. They're great.

I'm all fired up to get back in the dr now!

Thanks guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dodging and burning really is half the fun of making a print for me. I practice what I am going to do a few times on a dummy sheet before I make my first exposure; your hands kind of remember to a certain extent after doing it a few times. I made my tools out of foam core and shish kabob skewers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to cut out masks that represent the area I'm dodging (or burning) and some of them can be quite intricate. These are attached to very thin bits of wire used for flower arranging purposes. They are used close to the paper and moved enough to hide the wire shadow and to eliminate any harsh change in tone. If you angle the wire such that it isn't in direct contact with the paper, you can virtually avoid any chance of it casting a shadow. I have, on occasion, used various parts of my anatomy as dodging tools but I can't manage to keep the required shape long enough
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    That Clyde Butcher video (first one posted) is fantastic. Thanks for posting David!
    Quote Originally Posted by octofish View Post
    Thanks particularly for those clips David. They're great.
    You're both welcome. I just figured a few pictures (video) was worth 1000 words ...

I really thought there were better ones out there besides the Butcher. But, in the aggregate, I think they got the point across.

I agree that making your own tools is viable. I don't have Reinhold's set of pre-made tools, but I do have (and occasionally use) and old Testrite set. For burning, I have a stack of black construction paper and a pair of scissors.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
    I have, on occasion, used various parts of my anatomy as dodging tools but I can't manage to keep the required shape long enough
    Sad fact of life, isn't it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dodging tools from black paper/cardboard are easier to use if one side is white. You can identify the are youd dodge. I use adhesive labesl for making the black paper white.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin