Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,270   Online: 957

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The only adjustment on the Peak 1 is the viewfinder diopter adjustment. If it is not set correctly and you have presbyopia (inability to alter the focus of your eye), then your prints will be blurry.

The optical components are easy to disassemble and there is always the possibility that someone took it apart and buggered it up by not putting the focusing reticle in the correct location.
    Oh! maybe they put the reticle in UPSIDE DOWN after cleaning! Thus making the focus off by the thickness of that piece of glass.

I just looked at my Micromega under a microscope. The reticle is on the outside surface of the lens. (You could put a fingerprint on the silver painted double rectangle if you touched it).

Also, by design I believe the visual projection of the reflection of the reticle should appear to be at the same plane as the paper surface, if you look down at the mirror with both eyes, so your left eye sees the reticle and the right eye sees the baseboard... I drew a rectangle on paper same size and placed it underneath so my eyes believed they were seeing one rectangle. The visual appearance was as if they are on the same plane. Parallax would show if they are out of place. Moving my head, the rectangles seem to stay visually in place. I suspect if the reticle was upside down (inside out), you might visually notice they are not in the same plane, and parallax would make the images move relative to each other when you move your head.

Shooter
    35mm
    The thing is Bill It seems as if all 4 of the OP's focusers are off compared to each other and his eye. It is very strange and I wonder as you will see from my previous post what were the circumstances of the OP's discovery of these faults.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Of course there are ways to precisely calibrate such things, but is it worth it to set up instruments far more expensive than the only you're trying to fix? Been there, done that. I'm nitpicky, but at a
    certain point, things can become overkill. Some of these magnifiers had paper shims in the base as
    well as under the mirror. All it takes is a little bit of sloppiness in either and you've got an issue.
    In most cases the casting aren't precise enough to dispense with the need of some manual adjustment during final assembly. And I never ever assume that a piece of equipment is precise without first checking it - well, maybe a machinist's quality instrument from Starret or Mitutoya
    accompanied by a regiesterd certificate of accuracy - and I they'd have made on of these devices
    it would have cost a lot more than what you paid for Peak. In fact they make instrumentation which
    will read that front surface mirror and make a countour map of it several feet wide in millionth's of
    an inch, just in case you need to see how flat it really is!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd put my Peak 1 focusers up against a Mitutoya any day. I'm surprised to hear so many people having trouble with them. I'll take any that are not wanted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For what it's worth I've never had a problem with my Peak 1 either. When I bought it (new) years ago I tested it to see if any calibration was needed and found it was dead on. Then again, the plastic Paterson I used for years before that was just as accurate. Maybe I got lucky on that one. I invested in the Peak so I could see further away from the center, but I'm not sure I'd do that now. They're damn expensive and my prints were already as sharp as they could get from a focusing perspective.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    What? This book is available in PDF? Darn and I purchased a used one on Amazon.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Grain Focusing - discrepancies

Quote Originally Posted by scheimfluger_77 View Post
    What? This book is available in PDF? Darn and I purchased a used one on Amazon.
    Steve
    Thinking out loud, I started building a collection of PDF and Kindle texts, but it's not the same without margin notes.

I know the electronic dodads let you "make notes" for a file. But it just isn't satisfactory in the end. At least not to me.

Luddite I guess.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What th' .... Ice Racer? Mitutoyo makes the instruments that measure the dies and machinery that
    make things like Peak in the first place. They're a precision instrument and optics mfg - and obviously
    have to been of a far higher quality control standard than the thing itself being made. I don't know what you're thinking of. You can buy something as simple as a digital caliper from them (and they
    make some of the very best) or some advanced instumentation that will measure in angstroms!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    What th' .... Ice Racer? Mitutoyo makes the instruments that measure the dies and machinery that
    make things like Peak in the first place.
    Indeed. The manufacturer of the Peak focuser (do they make it themselves?) probably has some Mitutoyo equipment!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience parallel's Marco's: I can focus more accurately [and far more quickly] without a grain focuser. It helps that I am terminally myopic. If you are far sighted I am sure a focuser is a great help.

The magnifiers' adjustment isn't for calibration but for adjusting to your eyesight so as to bring the reticle into focus. But you aren't making a print of the reticle. The proper calibration is to either move the reticle or to shim the focuser.

The Ctein article on focusing was discredited long ago.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 10-26-2012 at 11:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin