Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,691   Online: 906

Shooter
    35mm

Loose focus on Omega B-600

I was recently given an Omega B-600 enlarger by a photographer in town who's switched completely digital. (his loss!) All in all, it works great as a starter enlarger, and I've been having a blast learning the basics of printing in my makeshift darkroom. The thing seems in good enough shape, considering it was heavily used for 20 years or so.

However, the focus knob on the enlarger is very loose: often when I'm adjusting focus, the lensboard will slip and fall a little bit, which can make getting a negative in focus more difficult that in needs to be. It only happens when I'm actually adjusting focus; once I actually get the thing in focus and leave it, I haven't had any problems with the focus slipping. I'm sure this is just the result of a lot of wear on the focusing assembly.

Is there anything I can do to repair this? I've googled around and found some people talking about tightening the knob, but haven't found anything specifically about a B-600 or instructions on how to do so. Any information y'all have is appreciated.

And if not, hey, free enlarger is free enlarger. I'm confident I can manage until it's time for an upgrade at some point down the road.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a screw that can be tightened to adjust the friction of the focus knob.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...%20Various.pdf

Page 9 "Adjusting Focusing Movement"

Shooter
    35mm
    It really was that simple: once I found the tightening screws, gave each of them a quarter turn or so, and problem solved.

Thanks for the help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a decent little enlarger, easy to move around. I used one in college at home in an apartment and fitted it with a Zone VI Aristo head and an El Nikkor lens. Instant improvement was the result. It's the kind of enlarger for small bathrooms in apartments. I didn't even build or get a cart.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    I've just got mine on a little table in my bedroom, which is just big enough for the enlarger and trays. All the wet side fits in a cabinet in my bathroom when not in use, and the enlarger can stay where it is as a "permanent" installation.

Currently running it as a completely stock setup with the 3-element lens. (Can't remember the name of it off hand.) Been thinking of getting an El Nikkor as they seem to be available fairly cheaply online & I have heard from numerous sources that seems to be a "quick win" as far as improving quality of the prints.

What's the advantage of changing the head?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin