Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,155   Online: 1054

Images

Ever pulled the motor on a Beseler 45M?

Has anyone every had this problem and fixed it. The motor on my Beseler 45M enlarger stinks whenever I run it -- even for a few seconds. It has always done this, since new. The motor seems a little canted in its placement, but I'm not sure. The enlarger goes up and down the same, i.e. it seems balanced. Motor is strong, it just smells bad.

Have you ever pulled the motor for lube and adjustment? Is it difficult? Maybe I should just live with it, but I do hate the smell. It's that electrical motor smell.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    never done a PM on the motor and everyone I have used stunk and looked tilted to me

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll get that from a new motor too. Thats the brushes making ozone. If the brushes are worn down and getting a bit loose the arcing will be worse and stink more. Overhauling brushes aren't much of a big deal if you can get replacements, but if the commutator is worn it'll take a bit of polishing and cutting of the insulators between the pads to get things right.
    Gary Beasley

Images
    glbeas,

It has smelled this way since new. Even though 20 years ago, this enlarger is low mileage. Not ozone, smells like hot motor. Maybe it's not 'broke in' yet.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree: Ignore odor.

My Beseler MB57 (5x7 version) has same smell, but works. Did have a problem and simply removed brushes, trimmed them a little, and reinstalled. Worked great after that. Still smells.

As long as your's works, do nothing. If motor drags or stops, renew brushes. If they cannot be reused, you probably can get replacements at any shop that rebuilds motors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Replacement lift motors periodically come up on Ebay too so repairs are not the only option.
    Gary Beasley

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin