Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,912   Posts: 1,584,692   Online: 673

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think you can convey "HOT" with an overcast sky, either. I would try cropping out the sky entirely, making it square.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Start by using some cropping Ls and crop some parts out. It's possible that there's too much going on and you need to edit the photo. The lower part seems too busy and the top part is much more scenic. Less is more.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What I would do is crop the sky out completely, making it an almost square print and then print with slightly more contrast.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will have to try this square thing. I just simulated it and it looks good.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please post it after it's done. I think square is the way to go. If you want to add some color, put some verona brown in the sand, and some sepia in the steps. It would make the people "pop" more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sadly, I'm out of paper that I like and the vendor is out of stock....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    maybe it's just me, but after a while, if the image is not what I want, i quit fiddling with it and just go shoot something else. For what you are seeking, I think that is your best option. Try a hot beach on a hot bright sunny day ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    What I would do is crop the sky out completely, making it an almost square print and then print with slightly more contrast.
    That's what I was thinking.
    With the clouds there you can't just portray "hot". You have to portray "hot and humid". If you want to do that, you would not want high contrast- I think more of a high key effect would work, with the clouds just held.
    Last edited by lxdude; 10-28-2012 at 04:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    maybe it's just me, but after a while, if the image is not what I want, i quit fiddling with it and just go shoot something else. For what you are seeking, I think that is your best option. Try a hot beach on a hot bright sunny day ...

That's another option. But I believe there is a potential, quite a bit of it, in this image. I can almost see it, except it's still stuck in back of my head behind all the clutter. All I'm trying to do is to find out what I am seeing and not seeing, and put that on paper. I got good advise here. Darken the sky and lighten the foreground. Also leave the sky out. I'm going to experiment with this.

By the way, this image was taken in Mexico and I live in Florida. I'd love to go back there and reshoot. But I can't. Also, this is part of a series (a personal project) I am working on. Not just any beach will do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as the contrast is concerned....

What you are looking at is a neg scan. Actual darkroom print with #2 filter looks just right for contrast. Once I am done, I'll scan the print and post it here.

Oh, I just wish there isn't that darn scratch on neg....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin