Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,550   Online: 933

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koja View Post
    To be honest if I shot this image I would say it falls to the category of trash bin images. No offense please!
    Sometimes the conditions are so difficult that you can't get away with a decent picture. I would just learn for the future (be it dynamic range of the film or contrast taming development techniques) and go shoot some more.
    While I would not go so far as to say trash this image, as it may be one that is important to you and needs to be rescued. koja has a valid point. Exposing the negative correctly and then giving it correct development for the type of enlarger you are using, (i.e. condenser or diffuser) means that you only need show the negative to the enlarger to produce a good print. Extensive time spent in producing consistently good negs (and I can’t do it all the time) ensures simplistic printing.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

The white highlight is fine. To get the shadows not to look muddy, contrast need to be increased. This will throw off the exposure so readjust for proper whites.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Extensive time spent in producing consistently good negs (and I can’t do it all the time) ensures simplistic printing.
    Well that really depends on the subject matter and your printing standards. I would definitely argue against that notion. A "perfect" negative can require lots of work and/or technique to print.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I know it's a tricky negative to work with, but I have no intention of relegating it to the trash bin. Worst case, I can always scan and manipulate it, though I'm finding that more and more ungratifying lately. And if I get nothing good in terms of a print, the learning gained from the experience has been invaluable.

I made a few adjustments. First of all, I think my developer was pooped, so I mixed a fresh batch. I used a grade 5 filter under the lens (7 seconds) and burned in some highlights with a grade 00 filter (4 seconds). This is what I've come up with. There's still no true black in the image -- multiple attempts turned the background to mud. But I managed to get a lot closer and still retain some shadow detail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img525-adj.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	59590

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Huge improvement. The contrast is much better.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litody View Post
    This not correct for all enlargers. Some can do it easily such as my Durst L1200
    exactly!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, you done good. Any you have learned a lot.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin