Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,215   Online: 866

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 x 9 question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been contact printing my 6x9 negs recently, its actually pretty fun. Ive been cutting a long roll of ilford rc with a rotary trimmer and making the mini contact prints with it. Mostly just messing around until I source an appropriate neg carrier and decently large piece of AN glass to modify for my LPL670. I made a carrier out of mat board for the lpl 6x7 in 6x9 size, but it didnt have the correct thickness/light blocking guides so it didnt work.

I have bought a 4x5 enlarger over the summer just for 6x9, but it is missing the baseboard. I'll have to make that, and find space to put the thing in my darkroom.

I have also enlarged cropped areas of the 6x9s using a smaller carrier, and the quality is quite nice (fuji 6x9).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, I'd contact my 6x9 negatives if I were in your situation.

I often reduce my 4x5 negatives. So small prints are a good idea.

When you get back, you'll have plenty time to find a suitable enlarger.

I'd look around a few threads for advice on that front. While I'm perfectly happy with the Omega DII, I know plenty people are much happier with dichroic color head enlargers, because then you get the advantage of diffuse light source and not have to mess with filters for multigrade printing.

p.s. I've got 2 rolls of TMY-2 with 6x9 shots washing right now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're waiting until you get back to the States, you'll have a ton of options. Don't worry about it now. Concentrate on making negatives. (If you can, the advice to contact print them now is a good idea.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah, if you will be back in the States, get the 23C if 6x9 is as big as you'll go. If you go up to 4x5 Omega, Beslar, Devere and LPL are all fine enlargers to consider. The 23C or the Omega D2V would be my low cost recommenation $100 or $150 will get a nice one with a good collection of lensboards, neg carriers, etc. Good luck. China is the most amazing place I've ever been to photographically.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't tried it out yet, but the early Omega B series like the B8 that I have will do 6x9. It's a bit less massive than a 4x5, a sort of mini-D2. I finally have all the needed accessories for 6x9, including a homemade lens cone to mount the El-Nikkor 105mm I snagged on ePrey, I just haven't produced a 6x9 negative I considered show-worthy, which is about the only stuff I print. I've been working (and enjoying some success) with the square 6x6 format and 80mm mostly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Are 6 x 9 enlargers significantly more costly by chance?

My DII was purchased for $45. My D2 was given to me for free but spent $60 or so to refurbish it myself. So it didn't cost me anything, really. Then there was a cost involved in getting 105mm and 135mm lenses. I had the condenser lenses already.

Difficulty might be to obtain a suitable negative carrier as 6x9 is not a common format. I know I do not have one but do have 6x7 and 6x8 for my enlargers. Depending on your gear, you can cut your own using mat boards and very sharp knife.

So I'd say it won't cost you anything more than getting to any other sizes provided you have a capable Omega enlargers. I have no idea about Beselers.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Beseler 45 MX with the Dichro head for color work and it cost a total of $400 two years ago (shipping included, which was expensive.) As mentioned, it will handle all the way to 4x5. I enlarge 6x9 negs with no problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    6x9 carriers for Omega D series enlargers are fairly common.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    6x9 carriers for Omega D series enlargers are fairly common.

I've never seen one available. Where are you finding those?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I've never seen one available. Where are you finding those?
    Craigslist - with really decrepit D2 enlargers usually.

I should probably clarify that there are of course a couple of different types, and also a couple of different sizes (roll film and sheet film).

KHB lists a few for sale on their website.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin