Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,888   Online: 825

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 x 9 question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

6 x 9 question

I am interested in learning about enlarging negatives in the 6 x 9 format. I recall long ago that ease of enlarging stopped at 6 x 7 and that with the 6 x 9 size, the number of available enlargers decreases dramatically. In other words, the 6 x 9 format is much more rare to print due to the need of a special type enlarger.

Is this true? If I am interested in printing at home in future, should i stay with 6 x 7 or smaller? I know nothing about enlarging and am only going on a long, distant memory.

Thank you for your help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the most common enlargers available in the US is the Beseler 23 series and they go up to 6x9 (2-1/4 x 3-1/4).
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not a "special type enlarger". You just need one with a large enough head/light source to cover the negative size you use. Most cheap, hobby enlargers were meant for 35mm to 6x6, or 6x7, so there were far more of them. Still, enlargers for 6x9 are not rare. A 4x5 enlarger would work, too.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Omega DII is probably the most common enlarger on earth (an off-the-cuff remark, probably not an accurate remark). It goes up to 4x5.

A 105mm enlarging lens is appropriate for the job.

But seriously you can do it. 6x9 makes a satisfying contact print.

And that is something you can do with equipment you probably already have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can pickup a Beseler 45 4x5 enlarger for peanuts that will do up to 4x5.. I have 3 of them..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is just stupid how fast questions get answered here. I've never seen a place so helpful and full of people who know what they are talking about. HUGE thanks.

Are 6 x 9 enlargers significantly more costly by chance?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dont know how much room you have but i was able to put a Beseler 45 in a 4x6 area.. I picked this up on Craigslist for $50 2 years ago.. You can get a 6x9 carrier for cheap, i just gave a 6x9 carrier away to another Apug member a couple days ago. Here is a photo of mine.. Also they are motorized for raising the head up and down..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    It is just stupid how fast questions get answered here. I've never seen a place so helpful and full of people who know what they are talking about. HUGE thanks.

Are 6 x 9 enlargers significantly more costly by chance?
    It is hard to say since any enlarger would be expensive to ship to China. The most common in the US is the Beselar 23c which isn't any more expensive than any other medium format enlarger. Any 4x5 enlarger will work also. I see that Lucky makes one in China. It will be much less expensive if you can find one in Shanghai.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    It is hard to say since any enlarger would be expensive to ship to China. The most common in the US is the Beselar 23c which isn't any more expensive than any other medium format enlarger. Any 4x5 enlarger will work also. I see that Lucky makes one in China. It will be much less expensive if you can find one in Shanghai.
    Ah! I'm an American working in China. My question is with regards to future plans, once I am back in the US. I have no space or darkness to work here in China. I'm toying around with buying a 6 x 9 camera and am trying to make sure that decision fits with what I want to do back in the US, which is print negatives made in China.

Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two or three years ago I bought a Beseler 45 MXII off of eBay for less than $20 through The State surplus agency, but I had to take a day off of work to go pick it up.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin