Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,372   Online: 869

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Optimum enlargement has to do with enlargement size versus subject requirements. If the subject needs to be 60x80 and the image falls apart you need to reshoot it with a bigger neg or different film. I think if you make grain your enemy then you might want to consider a different mediuim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    How do you explain the beauty of a Salgado print which, at 11 x 14 or 16 x 20, contains boulder sized grain? And the prints are quite beautiful.

His printer is rather good isn't he, and I have discussed this with people before.

In answer to the question, I would say that IMHO prints with very obvious grain or discreet grain work. I personally do not like the middle ground much of moderately grainy. His shots also have very crisp defined grain which is in keeping with the rawness of the image content. In this way the presence of grain compliments the images in many cases, but not all. Looking around 'Migrations' there were a good few miages where the distant detail (which I wanted to see more of) was obliterated by grain. However, the vast majority had no such fine detail (such as a crocodile of people meandering away to the horizon) and were more 'in your face' and graphic. I loved his work and the printing, which in the main was absolutely astonishing.

Horses for courses again.

Tom

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin