Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,958   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

printing a low contrast pyrocat negative on vc paper

I have a normally exposed negative that I developed with divided pyrocat mc (mistake). It looks very low in contrast. I'm enlarging on an Elwood enlarger onto ilford vc paper. Even with the highest contrast filter it still looks flat. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can try intensifying the negative with selenium toner. You can try high contrast print developer (lith developer) with your existing paper.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Or try split grade printing. A short soft exposure followed by a much longer (maybe several stops worth) hard exposure might produce a salvageable print.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try selenium toning the negative as ic-racer suggested. If the negative is relatively thin and/or low in contrast to begin with you might not get much out of that, but it can't hurt. Try a paper that gives higher contrast, or a higher contrast developer. Masking can help a lot, but this is a more involved process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    Or try split grade printing.
    The OP indicated
    Even with the highest contrast filter it still looks flat.
    so additional green won't help.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This topic seems to be coming up a lot lately. If selenium toning doesn't do it for you then your best bet would be to print for the shadows and bleach back the highlights.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Selenium toning will only give you about 1 zone addition in the highlights. If you need more than that sepia tone, or bleach with sepia bleach and then redevelop in a more active developer like ABC Pyro, or HC 110 dilution "A".
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Selenium intensification will do nothing if you do not have sufficient densities in the negative. Bleaching and redeveloping may be a better option... or make a copy negative on lith film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bring back AGFA Bovira Grade 6 -- all is forgiven !!
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    35mm
    As I'm not sure of what effect Pyrocat has on a normally exposed neg, could I just suggest that if the neg is low-contrast-but-dense then you try a pre-flash. If that's the case, then experiment with different amounts of flash, flash only grade-five etc. Start with the most flash at the hardest grade, just to see if the results go in the right direction. It brings out texture and form in dense, sunlit backgrounds where you have a shaded subject and so on, so you may find it helps get a better separation on a denser than normal neg too (if it isn't completely uniform anyway).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin