Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,012   Online: 702

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the pointers and info. I've decided to get Kodak Polymax once my current stock runs out. I'll be processing it first in Ansco/PF 130 Developer 1:1 for three minutes, and PF TF-4 fixer. Once my current stock of 130 runs out, I'll order more, get an additional tray and mix it to use divided after that. At some point soon, I'll also be adding a Selenium toning (KRST) step.

I'd welcome any comments anyone has about the above workflow.

I've got a couple of questions about Kodak Polymax at Calumet. When I checked at Calumet, I see a listing like "Polymax Fine-Art 8x10 100 Sheets F DW" for the double-weight paper, but "Polymax Fiber 8x10 100 Sheets N SW" for the singleweight paper. Are "Polymax Fine-Art" and "Polymax Fiber" the same thing? Is that just Calumet freestyling their product description, or are those two different papers? Also, I'd really rather find this in an F (glossy) surface, not N. Although I may end up waxing on prints for which I want a deep gloss, I'd like to see if my glazing drying can do at least as well with SW Polymax as it does with SW Azo.

Focuscamera.com carries Polymax SW F, but only in 5x7, not 8x10. They also list their SW as "Polymax Fiber" and the SW as "Polymax FineArt" so it might be a Kodak thing.

East Coast Photo carries SW F in 11x14x50sheets. I could live with that. Does anyone have any experience with East Coast Photo?

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Polymay is gorgeous, but I think I have the answer....

Fotospeed Legacy. It is classed as double weight, but is certainly the thinnest doubleweight paper I have used. FAR thinner than Agfa, Ilford etc and as Les McClean commented, should not even be classed as double weight really. It is also stunning. If I could only ever use one enlarging paper in the world, this would be it. Sure, Oriental Seagul is colder, Polywarmtone warmer and Agfa more in between, but..... It is perfect as an all rounder. White base, very slightly warm emulsion and in some respects very similar to Agfa MCC, but with a difference. It is very responsive to toning, more so than agfa, yet appears slightly more neutral in normal devs ( I think the base is whiter too). Its slight warmth is different to any othyer paper I have used, in that it is plummy brown rather than warm brown. It responds nicely to changes in developer too, so some flexibility is there. I finished mine off tonight and left the darkroom smiling at the prints. I cannot see myself using that much of it, as I have a number of other papers to cover warm to cold, but I can see it replacing the agfa MCC if that stops being produced (or the Legacy becomes cheaper). Take great care of it when wet tho! Oh, it is the flattest paper I have ever used when dry too, no curl whatsoever, dead flat.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And who is it that supplies Fotospeed? And
    who is it that produces Fotospeed? Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    kevin,
    single wt paper is almost a thing of the past. The only single wt fiber I am currently aware of is Azo. It is a graded paper that is available from MichaelandPaula.com. But like the old saying, " I thought I made a misstake once but I was wrong."

lee\c
    It does appear that Kodak Polymax SW is no longer available. I tried locating some a while back but none was to be found. Too bad, just when I was getting real fond of it. That leaves only Azo as Lee said.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure what they are in the US, tho they must surely be present in some form ??, hopefully???

Nuts.........Searching in google suggests they do not sell papers in the US....If you are really keen, try them direct in the UK - their prices seem better than www.silverprint.co.uk, whose price for the 16x20 is just silly, esp as the 'real price' for Oriental Seagul is half that (Mr Cad is always doing buy one get one free in £120 boxes of that 16x20).

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Stanworth; 01-02-2005 at 01:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    It does appear that Kodak Polymax SW is no longer available. I tried locating some a while back but none was to be found. [...]

Hi Alex,
    When did you look? Either the three vendors I listed two posts before yours are misrepresenting what they've got to sell, or things have changed since you searched.

I'll contact Calumet,Focus Camera and East Coast Photo and verify the Polymax situation with them, then post back to this thread. Does anyone have any personal experience with either Focus Camera or East Coast Photo? I haven't dealt with them before. Are they reliable?
    (click on the links in the previous paragraph to see that vendor's listing for polymax fiber SW)

-KwM-

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet

Hi Alex,
    When did you look? Either the three vendors I listed two posts before yours are misrepresenting what they've got to sell, or things have changed since you searched.-KwM-
    I checked B&H, Adorama, and Calumet. I was looking for 8x10 F glossy surface. I believe the semi-gloss N was still available from one of them in 25 sheet packs, but I didn't want it. All I have left of the F in single weight is one 25 sheet package. I'm kind of hoarding it, saving it for that something "special", whatever that turns out to be.
    Last edited by Alex Hawley; 01-02-2005 at 05:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Images
    I do like Polymax. I've got about 125 sheets left of the SW then, I suppose I'll be buying it in DW, although since there is no SW advantage anymore, I'll probably try some other brands first
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    I checked B&H, Adorama, and Calumet. I was looking for 8x10 F glossy surface. I believe the semi-gloss N was still available from of them in 25 sheet packs, but I didn't want it. All I have left of the F in single weight is one 25 sheet package. I'm kind of hoarding it, saving it for that something "special", whatever that turns out to be.

Yeah -- I'm ideally after 8x10 SW F. On their website, Focus Camera lists F in the available surfaces with the notes by their listing of 8x10x500 N. They also say it's a special order. East Coast Photo has 11x14x50 F SW and they say it's in stock (on the website). I'll post more when I know more.

-KwM-

Images
    You might want to look towards the 250 sht boxes. There might be some random ones floating around. I know that B&H had 250s even after they had sold out of 100s.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin