Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,083   Online: 913

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Schneider vs. Nikon

I would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations on Schneider vs. Nikon enlarging lenses. Is one that superior to the other? Also, any explanations about the differences in the Schneider Componar & Componon designations. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's really a personal preference. Nikon or Schneider both give a good bang for the buck but the componar was more of an entry level lens & left something to be desired. I'm sure as more replies come back you'll find support for both marques.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My impression is that lenses of the same generation and comparable product line from Nikon, Rodenstock and Schnieder are of similar optical quality. Schneider and Rodenstock have been pretty clear about which models were intended as "entry-level" versus "professional grade". The Nikkor model designations, by comparison, have seemed less clear to me.

I strongly recommend consideration of the most-current APO designs from any of the three, however. It's an investment that will allow you to get the most from your negatives.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Lens

Apo-Rodenstock line. By far and away the best for your money. Spend your time making prints not replacing equipment. I do have a 210 El-nikkor that is quite nice but the 150mm Apo-Rodenstock is the killer.
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a friendly dealer near you try to persuade him to allow you to try compare several lens and then decide. I did that some years ago and ended up with Nikor for 35mm and medium format but Schneider for 5 x 4.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are too many good lenses to list. Some Meopta and Durst labelled lenses are also reputedly great. If you are unable to get to compare them, buy used and sell the ones that underwhelm you. I have Schneider and Rodenstock and all including older ones are super sharp. I can clearly see crisp grain at large right print sizes, so they cannot be bad. It comes down to individual lenses as factors such as being dropped etc may come into play! You will hear of one person moan about how their XXmm Nirodscron is rubbish compared to their XYZ and then the next person says the opposite! Try to buy at a bargain price and be prepared to sell and buy again if unhappy.

Tom

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    For my $ spent in lenses I would agree with Peter

Apo Rodagon 150 -is a really beautiful lens
    Apo Rodagon 90 - I prefer this lens over the 80apo - maybe more coverage
    Apo Rodagon 50 - beautiful lens to work with

As Les stated if you can test the lenses under your working set-up it is of great advantage.

I am not sure if Rodagon makes an apo 300, I do like the rodagon360

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    For my $ spent in lenses I would agree with Peter

Apo Rodagon 150 -is a really beautiful lens
    Apo Rodagon 90 - I prefer this lens over the 80apo - maybe more coverage
    Apo Rodagon 50 - beautiful lens to work with

As Les stated if you can test the lenses under your working set-up it is of great advantage.

I am not sure if Rodagon makes an apo 300, I do like the rodagon360
    I am a darkroom beginner and have an old Meopta Opemus 5 from around 1980. It came with an EL Nikkor 50 and I picked up a Schneider componon-s 80mm for my 120 negs. Both work quite well.

My question is: For these *recommended* lenses, like the APO Rodagon's, how serious and well configured must your enlarger be to see a real difference?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSYD
    . . . My question is: For these *recommended* lenses, like the APO Rodagon's, how serious and well configured must your enlarger be to see a real difference?
    My experience in switching from a 50mm Schneider Componon (top end in its day) to a 40mm/2.8 Schneider APO Componon HM was immediate and dramatic, with no additional adjustments to the enlarger (Omega D2V, purchased back in the '60s). I would, however, recommend removing your shoes. No sense in ruining a good pair when your socks get blown off by the new prints.

I'd assume the difference with APO Rodagons over non-APO lenses would be similar.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    I would, however, recommend removing your shoes. No sense in ruining a good pair when your socks get blown off by the new prints.
    OK Ralph, thanks for the warning. Will start to investigate these new lens options seriously.....

Glenn
    Sydney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin