Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,528   Posts: 1,572,416   Online: 1137

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas -

Your central question was whether you could use Ilford filters with Agfa papers, and you got the right answer several times - yes.

But a point that may not have been stated clearly is that the response of Agfa papers to Ilford filters will be slightly different than the result of those papers to Kodak filters, or DuPont filters (if you can find them). Those differences are not important as long as you don't intermix filters. In other words, if you stick with your Ilford filters, all you really need to know is that the grade 1 filter will result in a softer print than the grade 2 filter, while the grade 3 filter will give higher contrast results than #2, etc. And as you work with them over time, you will develop a sense of how the paper responds, and will be able to more quickly home in on the filter that gives you the result that you are seeking for a given negative. But if you try mixing Ilford and Kodak filters, you will find that the results you get will necessarily follow a consistent pattern, and that will be very frustrating.

Shooter
    35mm
    I suppose that Ilford filter set should cooperate with Agfa or any other papers quite smooth.I use Agfa filter set in combination with both Ilford and Agfa papers and I'm satisfied with it.
    By the way,in Poland where I live Agfa set is much cheaper than Ilford set and that was the main reason why I have bought one - Agfa set costs around 24$ whereas Ilford set is priced 40$.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    Thomas -

Your central question was whether you could use Ilford filters with Agfa papers, and you got the right answer several times - yes.

But a point that may not have been stated clearly is that the response of Agfa papers to Ilford filters will be slightly different than the result of those papers to Kodak filters, or DuPont filters (if you can find them). Those differences are not important as long as you don't intermix filters. In other words, if you stick with your Ilford filters, all you really need to know is that the grade 1 filter will result in a softer print than the grade 2 filter, while the grade 3 filter will give higher contrast results than #2, etc. And as you work with them over time, you will develop a sense of how the paper responds, and will be able to more quickly home in on the filter that gives you the result that you are seeking for a given negative. But if you try mixing Ilford and Kodak filters, you will find that the results you get will necessarily follow a consistent pattern, and that will be very frustrating.

Listen to the above wise words Thomas.
    Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe using no filter with most VC papers results in a grade 2 contrast, but also a rather large change in the relative speed of the paper. The paper ISO of Ilford multigrade IV for example, is a paper ISO of 500, where using a 0 thru 3 filter gives you a speed of 200 (that is, if im reading the chart correctly) and a 5 comes in at 100.

I would only not use any filter at all if I were making MANY prints that look fine at grade two, i.e. mass producing prints for an event where I could make use of the high speed of the paper with no filter.

Nobody mentioned it, but while we're on the topic of VC filtration, I suggest you read up on 'split grade filtration' It is worth attempting! (I think I would have been better off had I known of it from the beginning, rather than only learning it recently)
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin