Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,747   Online: 1182

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    I'm about to head back into the dark room and try this very thing. I got a very informative PM that has me excited!
    Hey - you responded before I had a chance to fix my post
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Try lightening the "2" exposure until the highlights are right. You may or may not want to add "5" exposure to that.

If I lighten the 2 exposure, I'm back at like an 8 second exposure.... and thats at F11.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's his website. He's a dynamite resource.

http://www.thewebdarkroom.com/?p=479
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Eight seconds wouldn't be a problem, after all there are no areas which you need to dodge. After you get the light areas right, increase the grade a bit to get the dark areas of the background sorted out and adjust the time to keep the fur white with details.

Did you see Mr.Carnie's very interesting thread, above this sub-forum, as a sticky. . .

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/8...-darkroom.html

Shooter
    35mm
    You've had lots of advice to make it even better so the only thing I will say is: Your split grade attempt is a quantum leap forward. Well done

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This bears repeating: Split grade printing adds nothing but needless complexity versus a single exposure with an intermediate filter, unless separate burning and dodging manipulations are done during each of the soft and hard grade exposures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    This bears repeating: Split grade printing adds nothing but needless complexity versus a single exposure with an intermediate filter, unless separate burning and dodging manipulations are done during each of the soft and hard grade exposures.

I disagree. It may add complexity... FOR YOU... but it has helped me understand and better achieve proper contrast. I'm really enjoying it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok. So this is where I am now.

4secs with the 00 filter, 6 secs with the 5 filter, and then 4 secs added to the edges for vignette. I also had to dodge the cats left eye during the #5 filter to keep it from going 'dead'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CatSG2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	61235

Shooter
    35mm
    Grade 3, plus your burning-in then ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Grade 3, plus your burning-in then ?

Are you trying to say that what I did basically averages out to grade 3 at 10secs?

Sheesh... Y'all are confusing me. Is spilt grade vs single grade comparable to the RAW vs JPG argument???

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin